1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

edit menu pops up when typing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jaynfran, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaynfran

jaynfran Thread Starter

When typing text in Microsoft Word, or in a new email in Outlook Express, or in an installed genealogy program, the small menu normally associated with right clicking the mouse will pop up completely at random. This can happen three times while typing one sentence, or may not happen after typing several pages. I can not cause it to happen deliberately -- it is totally unpredictable. It occurs while I am actively typing, not touching the mouse, and not hitting any stray keys on the keyboard. Typing can not be resumed until a mouse click clears the menu.

I have tried a different keyboard to eliminate the chance of having a flakely keyboard, I have scanned for viruses and spyware/malware, and I have run the System File Checker. The problem is still there.

Any help to resolve this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Jay

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!
    Are you sure you're not hitting the Right-Click key on the keyboard? Most newer keyboards have a Menu/Right-Click key next to the right CTRL key. Easy to hit when using the right Shift key. The symbol is usually a menu with a mouse pointer.
    Shift F10 will do the same thing.

Do you have a cordless mouse? It's remotely possible that interference from another wireless device is causing this. If using a corded mouse eliminates the issue, try repositioning the mouse receiver. Some cordless mice can pick a different channel to use if you re-associate the mouse and receiver, generally by pressing a button on the receiver, then a connect button on the mouse.

If it's not one of the above, I haven't a clue.

You can dismiss the pop-up menu with the ESC key, saves having to move your hand to the mouse.

HTH

Jerry

3. jaynfran

jaynfran Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Jerry, but I'm afraid it didn't help. My keyboard does not have a right click key, and I'm not using a cordless mouse. I wonder if this could somehow be a motherboard problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks...Jay

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/741037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice