1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Edit the Bookmarks in .pdf files?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by letchworth, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. letchworth

letchworth Thread Starter

I am looking for an inexpensive program to edit the bookmarks in .pdf files.

Often I receive .pdf files with bookmarks like "page 1". "Page 2", etc. I would like to have more descriptive titles on at least the major divisions-- but have no idea how to do it. (My guess is that the full version of Adobe Acrobat can do this- but hope there is a less expensive program for the job).

Any help would be appreciated
    letchworth

2. smbd

smbd

As I know there are many PDF editors in the internet. But all of them aren't free. I think you could use software with a free trial.

3. letchworth

Thank you for your response-- I have tried a few of the pdf Editors-- The do fine for changing text, phone numbers, etc. (some even change pictures)--- but have not found one that allows me to change the wording in the bookmark pane.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
    letchworth

4. hewee

hewee

5. letchworth

That certainly lists a lot of .pdf tools--- I did not find any references to editing the items in the bookmark pane (the bookmarks)--- I am assuming you are referring to an unlisted feature of one of the products-- Could you direct me to the product you feel will allow me to do what I am trying to do?

Thank you for your post
    letchworth

6. hewee

hewee

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I don't see one in that list Hewee, that would do what letchworth wants.

letchworth, you need to consider that the prime purpose of issuing PDF forms and documents is to prevent people editing them, hence the paucity of applications (that are not extremely expensive) that can actually do so.

Even then, if the author has further "security protected" the file, nothing will be able to edit it. Worse, most new photocopiers will create a PDF electronic copy that contains no editable data (I get these every day)

8. letchworth

Thanks for your response--

I had a pretty specific purpose in mind. The so called "paperless office" has been so elusive-- I used the laptop the other day for a large meeting (rather than shuffling lots and lots of papers). It actually worked pretty well- but I thought that rather than opening a variety of reports and their separate programs, it would be nice to output them all as .pdf files---- Then got the idea of merging all .pdf files--- I found a program to do that.

Then thought it would be nice if the bookmarks could get me immediately to the report "on deck"--- I know I can use a "poste-it" to remind me of which page numbers start which reports-- but really like the idea of having it self-contained.

Biggest wrinkle is that this is a volunteer organization and no $$$-- (So, whatever I spend comes out of my own pocket). But, I am pleased with how it worked even in its primitive form and will keep working on it.

Thanks for your help-- and if you get any more ideas, please pass them along.
    letchworth

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice