1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Editing a 2nd Hard Drive's Registry

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by igidan, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. igidan

igidan Thread Starter

Here is my problem in brief. I am unable to successfully boot up Win2K on my one hard drive because Symantec Ghost is failing to load. Specifically, the error message reads that the Logon User Interface Failed: File c:/Program Files/Symantec/Norton/Ghost/ginastub.dll has failed to load. There is no other option but to restart and it just comes back to this message. All support I have found about this message points to deleting the ginastub.dll Registry key. However, I can't not get to that hard drive's registry because (1) windows does not load, (2) since windows does not completely load, I can not edit the registry through the network. So, I am left with adding the HD as a slave to another computer and editing the Registry that way. Does anyone know how that can be done, editing a secondary hard drive's Registry?

2. snappy_31

snappy_31

If you are taking that hard drive out and putting into another machine than you should be anble to find that file by doing a search and then removing it
    Maybe I read it wrong but that is what it sounded like you were trying to do.
    If you are able to you can pull the reg up from a slave drive but I have never tried to edit it like that before
    Peter

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you boot to safe mode, edit the registry, and look for that string.

There are reports of Ghost changing it from C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\MSGINA.DLL to C:\program files\nortonghost\GINASTUB.DLL

4. igidan

igidan Thread Starter

I can boot to safe mode, but even more of pain, I cannot log in. I type the username and password and it starts to do its thing, but then comes back to the log in screen. I have tried every user and administrator account. I was going to try and run the Windows Repair option on the cd.

5. rawmeat

rawmeat

If you use the repair option, you will still need the administrator username and password. NTFSDOS utility can allow you to access the system files. If you delete the SAM file, then all accounts and profiles will be deleted and when you then boot into safe mode, it will create a new administrator account with no password. From there, you should be able to edit the registry. You will have to recreate any other accounts after you have fixed the system.

6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

The only reason I can figure for having a registry on a second drive is a Dual Boot.
    Can you boot to the other OS?
    What is the other OS?
    Boot loader?

7. r08813

r08813

He asked a simple question!!! Can you edit the registry of a previous windows installation if you can't boot from it!! I hate it when somebody asks a simple question and people respong by just saying dumb **** like "Just delete the file" or "reformat the drive"... Why don't you just tell him to take it to a repair shop? If you don't have an answer or anything intelligent to say, don't respond. He's not looking for some dumb generic cookie cutter fix that he could get from a 1987 book on pc repair or calling aol tech support... Well, that's enough of a rant. I'm in the same boat. There is no other alternative. I need to edit the registry of a secondary drive. Anybody useful have any suggestions?

8. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

This post is nearly 4 years old..why not just make your own post and forget the bad attitude?
    I realise that you are stressed by having a machine that will not boot, but that is a lousy way to get help. If you are such an expert, why are you asking questions anyway?

You really don't want my suggestion

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please read the TSG Rules before future posts.

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Note: You will need to post complete details of your configuration and your specific issue in this new thread for us to help you.

Thanks for your cooperation.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice