Editing Address List in Taskbar

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grandpaw7

So when I type a URL in the Address List on the taskbar, I guess is it the Autocomplete feature which saves it there. I now have a whole bunch of URLs there, many of which I don't want there so it will be easier for me to find the ones I do want. Is there any way to delete some of the URLs and retain the rest? Also, is there any way to produce a list of all the URLs listed there? (I only get a small portion of them when I click on the down arrow on the Address utililty or whatever you call it. Thanks, grandpaw

If you mean the address toolbar you can create on the taskbar, those addresses are included in the registry Run MRU key.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU

Look in the right pane. You can Delete them one by one. Or go to Taskbar properties>Start Menu Programs
and clear all the personal histiry menus from there.

If you mean the address bar in IE, that location is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs
You can delete one by one there too. To clear entirely, choose to clear History.

grandpaw7

Mosaic1, thanks for your input. But I don't know how to get started with the operations you suggested. I don't know what "run MRU" means or how it is done. I also don't know what to do to get the HKEY locations. I would appreciate further input. I presume I start out with Start>Run; but if that is correct, I don't know what to type in the Run block. Thanks, grandpaw

I was showing you how to delete from inside the registry. If you are not comfortable, then don't go there. You can delete all the Run MRU (Most Recently Used) entries by right clicking on an empty space on the taskbar and choosing properties. Clicking the Start Menu Button. Looking at the bottom half of that page and clicking to clear the documents menu and other personal history lists. Or clear IE History & reboot.

To access the registry to to Start>run and type Regedit. Press Enter.

Navigating the Registry is the same as navigatin Windows Explorer. You press the + signs in from of each entry until you get to the last.

Like this:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre
ntVersion\Explorer\RunMRU

+HKEY_CURRENT_USER
+Software
+Microsoft
+Windows
+Current Version
+ Explorer

Scroll down to find RunMRU in the left pane. Click on it to highlight. Look in the right pane. You'll see all the entries. You can remove any individual address you like and leave the rest. Or you can delete the RunMRU folder in the left pane. That will not only remove the address taskbar toolbar entries, but also the entries in the start>run history. Reboot.

grandpaw7

Thanks, Mosaic1. I want to get a little acquainted with working in the registry. Otherwise I will be like the little boy whose mother didn't want him to go into the water until he learned how to swim. grandpaw

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online