1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Editing config files

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by gadfly, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gadfly

gadfly Thread Starter

I finally made it through the 'crash course' of getting my Linux RedHat9 installed and connected to the intenet via dial up. No major glitch not created by my own stupidity:(

Now I want to create 'on demand' dial up rather than have to manually start the dial-up PPP connection each time I want to access the internet (mail or browser).

The book I have on Linux says that as 'root' user I can configure the 'ifcfg-ppp0' file to allow for this.
    I can find it by browsing in the Home directory (under root).
    It's located under the "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0". To see it I have to hit the button to go one up from 'root' on the file tree (hope this makes sense - I don't have the jargon down pat yet). This allows me to open and view it - but I can't make any changes. When I choose the 'File' drop down menu - it allows for limited options - unlike files located lower than my 'root' directory.

The changes that are suggested in the book are:

ONBOOT=yes
    DEMAND=yes
    IDLETIMEOUT=600
    RETRYTIMEOUT=30

I don't understand Why I can't seem to edit this file . As root user shouldn't I be able to change anything I want?

Advice greatly appreciated.

Gadfly

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What are the permissions on the file.

3. lynch

lynch

The /etc directory fall under / as opposed to /root which is the root user's home directory.You wont find any system configuration files in /home.
    Did you open that file with a text editor as root? the changes should have worked if you did.
    HTH
    lynch

4. gadfly

gadfly Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for responding to this post. When your a 'newbie' it means a lot when someone responds with suggestions and advice - expecially as we often ask and do the dumbest things!!

I didn't realize that I had to use a text editor - I had been simply opening the file and highlighting the sections I wanted to change - and didn't understand why it wasn't taking any entries (dumb I know - but I'm trying to learn fast)

When I used a text editor I was allowed to make the changes suggested. Unfortunately they only succeded in eliminating my connection. I'm not sure why? I went in and put everything back to it's original state so I at least had dial up - and I'll try again if/when I figure out what went wrong.

I changed ONBOOT and ONDEMAND to 'yes' - and I manually entered IDLETIMEOUT=600
    RETRYTIMEOUT=30
    as I didn't see any entries there to simply change.
    When I checked the internet connection it said that the modem connection was active - but it wasn't. When I tried to use the email, and the browser, both said they couldn't make a connection.

If from the above info you have an idea what I might be doing wrong, or another approach to getting the dial up to work as 'on demant' rather than having to manually start it each time - I'd appreciate the advice.

Again - thanks for your input. It really helps .

Gadfly

5. AllSeeing

AllSeeing

if you have further problems with acessing your files, when you boot-up, instead of logging in as your user name, at the user name field type "root", and the password that you set on instaliation, and you will be loged in as "root", and probably have acess to most/all files.
    Good luck!

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Install SUDO.

7. lynch

lynch

Just another thing:before you edit anything like that,make a copy of the file and save it with a different name so you can restore it if problems arise.
    lynch

8. gadfly

gadfly Thread Starter

Thanks you guys - good advice all round(y)

Gadfly

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice