editing in Access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Blindy8

I'm just starting to learn Access. I created a database that works, but when I try to edit data in the form, any one editing change I make appears globally. In other words, if I go to a form and try to Bold or change the color of a word, all the words in that form change color and are bolded.

How do I edit individual elements in a form?

Forms are just for editing and displaying the data not formatting color, etc. If you want a form element ot have a different font or font color you need to do it in design view for the form and change the element you want changed.

Blindy8

I'm obviously doing something wrong. I opened the database to the form I wanted to I could read the data. The data on that form was about 200 characters. I then went to design view as you suggested but all that was there was the word "data" and there was nothing for me to edit. I assume if I can find a way of seeing the data, I would be able to edit invidivual words for that record alone and the editing changes wouldn't be global. However, I would assume design view is for the global design of the database, so I'm not sure what to do or what I'm missing.

There is a way to edit data in a record in order to apply formatting to certain words only, but the workaround is extremely intrusive. I believe there is an example somewhere on Stephen Leban's website of a RichTextBox control, or there is the Microsoft Rich Textbox Control 6.0 (ActiveX). Why do you need to do this?

chris.

Blindy8

I'm creating a database from a Word file of product testimonials. In the Word file, some words are highlighted, others are bolded or colored for emphasis. When I cut and paste the individual testimonials into Access, I get "one size fits all" editing where all the bolds, colors and underlines are taken out. I would like to format each record. I didn't realize that
Access didn't allow for this simply as Word and Excel do.

Yeah, Access has limited text formatting capability. Actually, I don't know how the Rich Textbox Control works; strictly speaking, a text datum is usually stored in an unformatted state and only formatted for display or printing. If you're keying in this information (i.e., copy/pasting), you'll have to use a Rich Textbox control up front, I'd imagine. Let us know if you need any more help.

chris.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online