1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Editing keys in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by harryman, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harryman

harryman Thread Starter

I'm not real sure if this questoin falls in the Development category, but here it goes. I'm on WIndows XP. I was making a program in VB and I wanted it to delete a certain key in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", specifically "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ratings" . The key wouldn't delete. So I tried just making a .reg file to add the key, and it wouldn't add the key I wanted. It also wouldn't read or delete the key. Then I found out after trying to add and delete about 20 other keys, that it wouldn't add or delete any keys in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" tree. Is this a restriction or administrative rights thing? Anyone know why it's happening and how I can make it stop?

2. plejon

plejon

3. coderitr

coderitr

You must have administrator rights to modify the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive in the registry. Check your XP logon. You can right-click the start button and if you have an option on the context menu "Explore All Users" then you have administrator rights -- otherwise you do not.

4. fishman19

fishman19

Just saw the thread in which you said that unless you have admin rights you can't edit any keys in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".

It also seems that a bit of software I'm trying to use to autodetect whether Acrobat 5 is installed on the user's computer, cannot read this key on computers that don't have an administrator logged in.

However, if I check for a registry key in "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" (where the association for .PDF is stored) this is fine.

The problem with the latter solution is that it does not determine which version of Acrobat is present - it just checks that .PDFs have an associated program.

Now the third party utility I am using (I'm not a coder) cannot check the values of keys, just their presence (or lack of).

Can you recommend a way round this problem?

Many thanks.

H

5. coderitr

coderitr

"Ordinary Users" (Windows terminology -- not mine) should be able to read the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE section of the registry. I suggest you contact the author of the software you are having trouble with and ask them to debug it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice