1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

editing problems

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by margaret zanoni, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. margaret zanoni

margaret zanoni Thread Starter

i have recorded a programme from the TV which contains 5minutes with my little niece speed skating. I copied it from the TV hard drive onto a DVD which plays fine on my computer but how can I edit this so I only have the little bit I want?

2. cwby74

cwby74

most burning programs have a editing section it so you can edit what you want out of the movie or data that you are trying to burn. just make sure you have the burner and the burning software that you need.

3. margaret zanoni

Thank you for replying but I am not sure I understand what I have to do. I have played the ~DVD on the computer which is ok in both mediaplayer and WinDvd but I have never wanted to chop out bits of a video or disc before and I can't seem to find the part of the programme which does this. I think I have the stuff on the computer but I need advice as to where to find it! Please have patience with an old lady and spell it out for me please!! Hope to hear from you soon - Margaret

4. cwby74

cwby74

first i need to know what kind of burning program your using so i can try and instruct you on how about navigating around you programs interface. from there i might be able to instruct you further. patience is a virtue not a task

5. margaret zanoni

I use the Windows programmes that came with my computer - Movie Maker I believe is the programme that does the disks. I have the Windows XP Media Edition. Is this enough or should I get the AVS Disc Creator that I have seen recommended for another member in a post? - Thank you for your time.....Margaret

6. cwby74

cwby74

you can try using window movie maker and see how that one works for you, or see if that will work for what you want it to do before you go spending to much money on a program that your not going to end up using, to start with movie maker you import the movie that you want to edit. once that is done it will show you all the scene's that is withing that movie. from there all you have to do is click and drag the scene's that you want on your movie. they also have the step by step instructions on the left hand side if you start to get lost. (when i said click and drag you will notice a blank film and the bottom movie make that is where you will be dragging the to.

7. linskyjack

linskyjack

Windows moviemaker won't work with mpeg files. Chances are that if you recorded it from TV its mpeg.

8. margaret zanoni

I tried to do it with windows movie maker but it won't work. I think it is probably a mpeg file as suggested. What do I need to convert it to a file that will work with what I've got?
    Thank you both for your help.....Margaret

9. linskyjack

linskyjack

You need to convert that to an avi file. Do a Google search for mpeg to avi. Here is one ----http://www.video-converter.net/ I can't recommend it but you might give it a try.

10. margaret zanoni

I have done as suggested and downloaded the conversion kit - it has worked a treat! Thank you so much for all the help and advice - I would like to put the 'solved' symbol on this thread but don't know how to do it!!!!!
    Once again thank you ....Margaret

11. linskyjack

linskyjack

LOL---glad everything worked out for you. Video can be a bit complex.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!