Editing site on development server and need help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Puzzledandconfused

Hi I am proof reading a website on a development server. The website address has an ip address at the beginning and can't be accessed without adding the address to a file on the computer.

I can't remember what the file is that I have to access to change. I have done it before but it was a long time ago.

Does anyone know what the file is and what I am supposed to do.

Thanks

Puzzledandconfused

Probably your hosts file is what you are looking for. This allows to you redirect a url to a particular ip address.
Hi, thanks - yes that is right I have found the file I want to add the address to but I know I need to access it as an administrator but not sure how to do that because I need to save the host file as a different name I think. What do I do at this stage?

Thanks

You right click on Notepad and choose Run as Admin, then you can open, edit and save the hosts file.

colinsp

Colin
You DON'T give it a new name, if you do it won't work, make sure you don't give it a file extension either.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online