1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Editing site on development server and need help

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Puzzledandconfused, Apr 17, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Puzzledandconfused

Puzzledandconfused Thread Starter

Hi I am proof reading a website on a development server. The website address has an ip address at the beginning and can't be accessed without adding the address to a file on the computer.

I can't remember what the file is that I have to access to change. I have done it before but it was a long time ago.

Does anyone know what the file is and what I am supposed to do.

Thanks

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Most internal sites use an ip address 'at the beginning'. Do you know that ip address ?

Puzzledandconfused likes this.
  3. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Probably your hosts file is what you are looking for. This allows to you redirect a url to a particular ip address.

Puzzledandconfused likes this.
  4. lunarlander

lunarlander

The 'hosts' file is located at "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc"

5. Puzzledandconfused

Puzzledandconfused Thread Starter

Hi, thanks - yes that is right I have found the file I want to add the address to but I know I need to access it as an administrator but not sure how to do that because I need to save the host file as a different name I think. What do I do at this stage?

Thanks

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

You right click on Notepad and choose Run as Admin, then you can open, edit and save the hosts file.

7. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    You DON'T give it a new name, if you do it won't work, make sure you don't give it a file extension either.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice