Editting PDF files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sportsfreak

I'd like to know how to edit PDF documents. What programs must I download to achieve this? Anything miscellaneous I should know when editting PDF documents? Thanks

The most important thing to realise is that if someone has created a protected pdf document, you cannot easily edit it. A lot of forms etc are protected, but not everything is.

Aside from that there are a lot of applications out there that will convert a pdf file to Word for editing.

The protection is easily overcome by a quick google for a PDF unlocker :D
If you don't use it for commercial purposes I don't see anything wrong with some copy/pasting etc. from a PDF document.

Anyway, I use Acrobat for creating and editing PDF's, there are cheaper solutions around though. My only experience is with Global Graphics' Jaws PDF stuff. It's quite easy to use and heaps cheaper than Adobe.

Here's a link: www.jawspdf.com

Cheers

/NL

NightLord said:
The protection is easily overcome by a quick google for a PDF unlocker :D
/NL
Not when they create it from an image, no unlocker can extract the text unfortunately as it does not "exist", only as a full page graphic embedded in a pdf. OCR only in that case.

Try searching around the Internet. There are a lot of programs that will let you convert PDF to Word documents. Some work better than others. The one my customers have been using is called Readiris. It's kind of pricey but also does a good job. There are some others that don't do as well with things like converting the graphics. Just have to try some and find one you like. Most of the inexpensive ones are in the $40 range.

sportsfreak said:
I'd like to know how to edit PDF documents. What programs must I download to achieve this? Anything miscellaneous I should know when editting PDF documents? Thanks
The best method is to create your documents using a program like Word or Visio, and save those programs. After you have converted them to .pdf format and want to further edit them, just open up the original non-pdf files, edit them in their native format, and re-save them as pdf's.

You can use Adobe Acrobat and similar programs to edit pdf files directly, but it's almost always an awkward and frustrating experience. For example, just making text bold in a .pdf file is quite a challenge.

The protection is easily overcome by a quick google for a PDF unlocker
That is not true at all. My boss has a PDF file that he put a password on and has now forgotten it. I've looked for months to find a way to open it and I haven't found one yet.

Due to my older OS, I am avoiding it, but doesn't the most recent release of Acrobat make editing easier? Just something I've read, not personal experience...

Yes, you can edit in Acrobat without too much problem but there are still a lot of things you can't do. It's almost easier to edit in word then make the document into a pdf all over again. Depending of course on what you want to do.

lola2001 said:
That is not true at all. My boss has a PDF file that he put a password on and has now forgotten it. I've looked for months to find a way to open it and I haven't found one yet.
Well, maybe you haven't found the right tools yet... ?

/NL

Really? I guess that is possible. I'm sick of looking. Don't know where else to look.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online