1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Educate Me: Very best video card under a budget

Discussion in 'Games' started by LVance, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LVance

LVance Thread Starter

Howdy...

I am looking for the very best video card for around the $250 area. I'll start off with what I have.

AMD Anthlon XP 2000+ @ 1.66 Ghz and 624 MB of Ram. The video card I currently have is pretty pitiful. The computer I have is a eMachines w2040.

I am wanting to play mainly City of Heroes, Battlefield 1942, and other games in that genre and what not. I would love to play Far Cry too, but I'm not sure if I have the processor to do so.

I want to make a purchase in the next few days, and currently I've been suggested to buy a Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 8X 128MB DDR Video Card for $200, but can I get a better one (OR, will that do?) for alittle more?

Also, I probally need a new PSU, correct? Taking suggestions on those too. :cool:

Thanks!

2. McTimson

McTimson

Radeon 9800 Pro is your best bet, the 9800XT is still around at least $300 used, so go with the 9800 Pro. Yes, your processor is fine for any game out there, including Far Cry.

With the PSU, check the wattage on the one you already have, if it's under 350w, I would say to get a new one.

3. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned

This is the best site I've seen for prices:

http://www.pricewatch.com/

Each week they search the WWW for the best prices. I've bought quite a bit from them and saved every time.

One caveat, don't buy a video card from Tigerdirect with a 'rebate.' I had a friend who had a hell of a time getting a 'rebate' from them on a video card. He purchased it with idea he could get a 50% rebate but the card was broken when it arrived. So he had to get it replaced and in the meantime the rebate period ran out... :mad:

4. Deathblow

Deathblow

Also might wanna look into a Geforce 5900. Performance is as good or better than the Radeon 9800 pro. Less problems are encountered, and it's cheaper.

5. thumper289

thumper289

I'm partial to the Geforce MX 440 it's only a 64 meg card,but I think it outdid my new 5200 geforce

Good luck

6. theseif

theseif

Hi, I'm new here but I though I'd better post a little info on the ATI 9800 cards. I think they require a separate power connection which your computer may or may not have. I know my 9700 does. Maybe something to look into before your purchase.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yes, you are right about the power connection, and you need a minimum of a 350 watt PSU for the 9800. They aren't kidding about the minimum either. A 400 watt would be a better choice.

8. Deathblow

Deathblow

Well, the power connection is just the same type that goes to a HD, so you could get a splitter if you don't have any spares. But skivvy is right as well, you need a good Power supply for the newer cards since they don't work right without the juice.

9. Slam

Slam

Im telling you the best place to find prices is at www.pricewatch.com like hulk701 said. I bought all my stuff their for so cheap. You will find a great graphics card their

10. vitalssj

vitalssj

If you want to find a real cheap place with Great Video cards go to www.newegg.com cheap prices for #1 products

11. McTimson

McTimson

Personally, I would get this card. It comes with a great software bundle, and MSI is known to produce great cards.

12. LVance

LVance Thread Starter

13. McTimson

McTimson

Never heard of the company, and you can't read the amp ratings for each voltage, so I don't know if I would trust it...

The power connection is just a molex connecor on the video card, it's the same thing that's on hard drives and CD drives, you don't have to worry about it, it will make sense to you when you get the card, and there will be instructions with the card on what to do.

14. Soiled

Soiled

backin up to the card selection:

since the newer Nvidia Ultras and the New Radeons are so powerfull and so new, a step back (ATI 9800pros and such) will plunge in price and since i live in canada the 9800s are aroun $250 so you'll get under the 200 dollar range easy.

and with that processor, your games will have no problems running on that new config.

but that should be nothing you didnt know. :D

15. LVance

LVance Thread Starter

But someone said I need to buy an extra one? Do I? Is it this: http://www.isellsurplus.com/product.asp?ID=4729&C=&P=PW ? :confused:

As for the PSU.. can you suggest one to purchase?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/245886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice