1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Edup wireless lan not connecting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mookie1171, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mookie1171

Mookie1171 Thread Starter

Ok so the problem is I have two computers. One Desktop and one laptop. Both are running windows xp. My laptop can connect to the internet wirelessly but my desktop cannot. Currently I have the desktop connected to the internet by a cable ethernet wire and that works great. The setup is I just have a cable modem that directly connects to my desktop with no router in between it and the modem. The desktop internet works great. I bought a EDUP wireless usb adapter (EDUP IEEE 802.11 b+g USB adapter #4). Its supposed to be a usb thing that I plug in to my desktop with an internet connection and it allows wireless devices around it to connect to the internet through my desktop with that EDUP usb plugged into it. I am trying to connect my laptop to the internet wirelessly through the EDUP usb adapter plugged into my desktop. I plugged the EDUP thing and some drivers automatically installed. They may or may not be the right drivers. In device manager it says the driver is called ZD1211BU.sys from provider ZyDAS technology corporation version 6.19.0.0.

I have a program called wireless LAN configuration tool Plus in my tool bar on the bottom right of the screen. I click on it and the window pops up. It has option to set it as access point or station. When I set it as access point my laptop automatically connects to it and it says the connection is good. When this happens a Station MAC address from my laptop shows up in the EDUP Lan configuration tool window on my desktop. I try to load an internet page with my laptop though and no connection at all even though it says the connection is working. I tried multiple different pages.

I searched the internet a bunch and someone said I should go into my desktop network connections and right click properties on my internet connection then click advanced tab and enable "internet connection sharing." The problem is I can't do this because the advanced tab has no internet connection sharing options. It just has a firewall settings thing at the top of the window but no internet connection sharing options at the top. I don't know how to get it to appear or how to get my laptop to connect to the internet using the wireless EDUP adapter. I know the adapter works because I couple years ago I had it set up successfully and used it in conjunction with my DS my wii and my laptop to connect them all to the internet wirelessly, I just can't remember how to do it or how I did it then.

I have a help setup file for the EDUP thing but it's not working for me because I have no shared internet connections box under my network connections, internet connection, properties, advanced tab. I'll just paste it here in case it helps someone answer my question

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice