1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

eee pc battery won't charge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daizejane, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daizejane

daizejane Thread Starter

I have an eee pc netbook (Windows XP Home) and can't get the battery to charge. At this point I can't even turn the machine on. The A/C adapter plugs in fine and the blue light on the adapter stays on. Every so often when I plug the adapter in a message box will pop-up saying I'm running on battery mode and sometimes if I giggle the cord, the message box will say a/c mode. My first thought is that there is possibly a short in the cord (?). This is my first laptop, so I don't have a lot of experience with batteries. Could it be possible I need a new battery? I've had this for a couple of years now. Normally when I use it, I run it plugged in so as not to run the battery down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. BenTechMac

BenTechMac

Hello,

Two things come to mind.

It may be the DC socket connector that you plug the charger into. (especially because you say it changes when you wiggle it)

Also, have you tried running the computer without the battery plugged in, with just the charging adapter, to see if that works? That would resolve a faulty battery question.

Ben

3. daizejane

daizejane Thread Starter

Is the DC socket something that is easily replaceable? Both good suggestions. I'll try both and let you know how I make out.

Thanks!

4. slim123

slim123

This is usually the socket coming loose from the motherboard due to plugging the power cable too much/ hard. It is quite common. They don't cost much to buy but laptops are hard as Hell to open up :/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/934312