1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EEK !! Can not connect wireless to network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wacor, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wacor

wacor Banned Thread Starter

My laptop will not connect to my network.

Have cable internet with Linksys router

Wired computer works though

The laptop at one point said it was connected but now it is still trying to aquire address.

I have WPA encryption. I checked the passkey on the laptop and I think it got changed somehow. As it does not have near as many characters in it as my passkey. I retyped the passkey and it would revert to the one with less characters.

I was going to reset the router to default but I can not get into it using 192.168.1.1
    It is like the password to it was changed.

Is there a way to unplug and make everything go to default to start over?

I am at a loss what to do and wonder if somebody hacked into my network?

any help would be appreciated.

I think I got sabatoged by somebody in CD here. :D Just kidding.

2. BratDawg

BratDawg

First Name:
    Carla
    Have you tried unplugging the wireless rounter for a few seconds and plugging it back in? Also the modem that you use to connect to your cable internet provider? Maybe they are duking it out for ip control? Have you tried clicking the REPAIR connection on the wireless network screen on your laptop? That releases the ip address and tries to obtain a fresh one from the router.

3. wacor

Did the XP diagnostic on the laptop. Which releases the IP

Did unplug the router for about 10 seconds but not the cable modem. will try that next.

unplug modem and no change.

on the laptop it says the encryption is disabled? on left side of screen in network connections

Thanks

Did an ipconfig /release and got message that no operation performed on Local Area connection while its media is disconnected.

ip, subnet , default all 0.0.0.0

4. wacor

I am thinking the router is the problem.

Why would my passkey not be the same after I type it in. you can type it in twice and click ok and then go back later and there are many characters less than the passkey

tried removing the network on the wireless and resetting the encryption

any idea why i can not get into the router setup. i put in the user name and the password and it comes up with code 401 authorization required?

5. Carey934

Carey934

The passkey will always show less characters. This is a method used to prevent someone from looking over your shoulder and guessing what your code might be, starting with how many characters it is.

Many people try to use a passphrase when they need to use the HEX code to gain access to their wireless network.

6. wacor

Thanks for the info on the Passkey Carey94

well i did a 2nd system restore and now am back working. :D

but no idea why that worked this time and not last.

there is something definitely in the laptop that was wrong. I went up to the city hall which has free wi fi and could not connect there either. so that meant the router was not at fault.

who knows??

gonna leave this still open for a day and see what happens.

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

Bill,

There is a reset button at the back of the router--you need to hold that in for 30 seconds and it resets the router to factory default. Do that first and don't set up any security. Get connected first, then setup the wirless security.

8. wacor

Thanks Chris,

I was gonna dig thru my files to find the info on the router. I figured there was a way to do restore the defaults. did not know if just unplugging it for 10 seconds would do that. I would think that pushing in the reset would not be that different from unplugging it that long but i sure am no expert.

anyhow as stated i am back working after a 2nd system restore. some people swear that system restore can screw things us but i have used it a few times and it worked and saved my bacon.

9. trickyt

trickyt

I had the same problem as you. Everything appeared to work fine except my laptop mysteriously stopped connecting wirelessly to the internet. It worked with a cable. I tried everthing, Rebooting, refreshing, repairing, manually configutring DNS, etc etc. I took me days. Finally after days of trying I decided to dee
    delete the SSID and manually re-enter it and the WEP. Amazingly it worked. Just one small thing I noticed. Before this my SSID was "Jones Family" however my laptop had shown the name as "Jones Family (Manual)". After I deleted the SSID on the laptop and re-entered "Jones Family", my lapt top now working showed the SSID as "Jones Family (Automatic)". Somehow it seems that the "manual" and "automatic" additions were connected to this problem.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since this is a thread from last year, I think I'll close it so it doesn't get any more additions. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/546671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice