1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EEP! Unknown problem....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deathscythe_Hell, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deathscythe_Hell

Deathscythe_Hell Thread Starter

A few days ago i posted that i was having trouble with a hard drive of mine. Well, today I replaced teh hard drive and now I have a new problem. I took out hte old hd and put the new one in, plugged everything back up, and tried it out. All it does is it will start the cpu fan for a moment, the monitor will blink, then it will die for a second, then start the cpu fan up again, the monitor blinks again, in an endless cycle until i hit the power supply switch on the back. Here are the stats of my computer(again):

ECS socket a mboard(don't have model # available)
    AMD thunderbird 750 mhz
    382 mb ram
    64 mb geforce 2 video card
    120 gb maxtor hd(new hd, primary)
    60 gb maxtor hd(secondary)

Please help me

EDIT: I thought that it might be that the power supply couldn't handle hte new drive, so i unplugged it, still does it. I then unplugged everything except the floppy and cd-burner(cause the burner's power cable is a pain to get out) and it still does it. Is hte power supply dead too?

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

check all your connections and reseat your memory and cards. Especially the front panel and cpu fan connections. Sounds like you may have bumped something loose when you changed the drive.

3. Deathscythe_Hell

I checked all those, they seem secure enough, but that raised another possible concern: I've noticed over time that my cpu fan has been known to emit rather unhealthy sounds. Granted this probably should have been a clue to replace it, but I never have. Is it possible there is something wrong with the fan? One thing i've noticed for the short time it does spin up is a clicking noise coming from it.

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

sounds like the bearings are going out.

If the fan HAS died that could be the issue as most modern motherboards have cpu fan sensors and will not boot with a failed cpu fan.

5. Deathscythe_Hell

Well, looks like i'm gonna be replacing the psu whether i wanted to or not now. I was trying to unplug it from teh motherboard and plug it back in to make sure it was in all the way, but the clip holding it in had gotten stuck so I couldn't get it off. I tried for a little bit and the clip wouldn't budge. In the end it broke off. Bleh.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice