1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Efficient Hotel Wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FLYNNE, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FLYNNE

FLYNNE Thread Starter

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium

I wish to set up a Wifi network in a hotel which has 33 rooms and many solid brick walls.

The system must be capable of maintaining a secure reliable wifi without any dropouts whatosever and capable of dealing with 33 users at any one time who will be largely using skype with some video streaming..

At present the hotel uses one one router ( BtHub3) and two extenders ( Netgear WN300RP and a cabled to router TP - Link extender ).

If 12 or more users are using the system at any one time dropouts will occur quite often and internet operation becomes slow.
    Any advice would be most welcome.

Regards

FLYNNE

2. nikomaster

nikomaster

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You have two challenges here. One is the material make up of your walls being brick. The other is the VoIP/video streaming requirement.

The brick walls will cause some attenuation of the broadcasted WiFi signal. To combat this, multiple APs are placed throughout the building to provide even coverage.

In addition, to signal attenuation, latency sensitive applications like VoIP/video streaming presents their own demands on WiFi systems. Because current 802.11b/g/n systems still operate in half duplex mode, the more you load up a particular AP with clients that use applications like these, the more performance degradation you'll get. This is also why multiple APs are deployed in certain areas due to providing adequate performance for this type of applications versus RF coverage. In more advanced wireless systems, the wireless system can do application profiling which automatically raises this traffic as a higher priority (QoS) and will also do things such as AP steering where the wireless system will force a wireless client to associate to a less busy AP to preserve application performance.

What this all means is that if you really want to successfully meet the requirements you've laid out, you need to invest in an enterprise wireless solution.

4. FLYNNE

FLYNNE Thread Starter

5. FLYNNE

FLYNNE Thread Starter

Hello ZX10Guy and Nickomaster

Thank you both for your prompt replys to my question.

The problem is rather more involved than I first thought - I shal need do much research before I decide what to do .

Thank you both

Flynne

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice