1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Eight months in, I'm still baffled

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Redsennacy2189, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Redsennacy2189

Redsennacy2189 Thread Starter

*sigh* OK, here goes:

So I designed and built this PC as a "budget build" for myself and my boyfriend back in October as gaming computers. However, we have identical issues, and after several attempts to fix them after so many months... I must humble myself and ask you guys for help, even if I did something stupid :)

Specs of my comp are below. As I'm typing this, I'm going through the Mobo guide to see if I really did just get parts that do not match up, but go ahead and point out any red flags.

So. The problem.

I have been blue screening constantly over the past 7 months or so. At least once every day. Whenever I have a blue screen, I have one of two messages pop up; Memory Management, or Page Fault Error. The first one is way more prominent, about 90-10.

I don't get it. I had an IT friend help me put the damn thing together so that I wouldn't do anything stupid, but this keeps happening. I'm almost thinking I have the RAM in the wrong slots in the mobo, but I am unsure if that would make me blue screen once a day (or more).

I have reformatted Win 7 *many* times thinking it was the problem, and I'm at the point where I don't think it's a software issue.

I'm open to all ideas, comments and solutions <3

Thank you!

(I have read the building a comp guide that's stickied at the top, but I must have overlooked something)

EDIT: Just realized that I need to post my specs manually.
    MoBo: ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto 3.1GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core (4 cores unlocked for 3.5GHz)
    GPU: PowerColor AX4850 512MD3-HV3 Radeon HD 4850 V3 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x1
    PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda SATA 1Tb 7200.12
    RAM: OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage
    Case: APEX TX-381-C Black Steel Micro ATX Tower

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    A few thoughts.

1) get the exact STOP or ERROR code from the BSOD. That will pinpoint the cause. If the codes change, there is likely a hardware issue.

2) when troubleshooting issues, always disable any OCing or tweaks. Restore everything back to factory defaults.

3) you power supply is questionable. OCZ quality varies, from low to mid-range. Quality is more important than size. And with all of that being said, you should be running a 550W+ unit. Look at Corsair or Seasonic.

3. Redsennacy2189

There are always several codes, and most of the time, the computer restarts too fast for me to write them all down.

The only thing I have tweaked on my 'puter is that the 2 cores are unlocked.

Would the power supply bring up a memory management error? As in, not enough power is getting to the parts, causing an error? I'll look into getting a 600W, but I'd like to double check that the PSU is the problem before I spend the money

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The OCZ Power supply is a good quality Power Supply, but as Oddba11 pointed out it may be under powered a bit. If you question the quality of the Power Supply, Seasonic, Enermax or FSP would be very good choices, though they do tend to be more than a bit more expensive.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Power Supply problms can mimick all sorts of problems includuing memory problems.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The unlocked cores could be the problem, have you tried disabling them? You should also set the clock speeds of the CPU back to the defaults. The 2 cores could be defective or the overclock could be too much. As mentioned the first step in troubleshooting is returning everything to stock.

Once that is done test the memory overnight with Memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org/

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree.
    Return ALL settings to stock and see how it works. You are never guaranteed any overclock. Some systems work just fine overclocked and others do not.

Next your memory is not on the qvl list at asus. Exactly what voltage do you have set in the bios for that memory? If possible post a link to the exact memory you installed.

When you did the overclock, did you up the fsb or [if you have a BE did you up the mulit]

8. Redsennacy2189

thanks for the info dustyjay, I actually did not know that powersupply issues could mimic other pc issues.

I'll reboot the computer in a second to see what the voltage is in bios, and I'll set the CPU back to 2 cores.

I bought this off of Newegg at the time, but this is the exact model number:

http://best-laptop-deals-coupons.co...oltage-desktop-memory-model-ocz3soe1600lv4gk/

I have ran Memtest before, and the only thing I found out was that my friend put the RAM in the wrong slots. I tested every stick in every slot at least once, and both of them in all the slots once. I tell you guys what slots I have them in when I go to restart to check bios. I'm still heavily suspicious that the RAM is the problem since, as crj said, it isn't on the list for my asus MoBo. When I ordered the parts, my friend that helped me build them assured me it would work, and now I'm thinking I was naive to trust that.

9. Redsennacy2189

No, I did not up the FSB, since I didn't know how. I was banking on my IT friend to really help me out, and as it turns out, he didn't.

I checked the voltage of my RAM in BIOS, it's not the easiest thing for me to find (I went through everything) but from what I can see, I have 1.5V, and it's standard. Min is 1.2V and max is 2.445V.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, that is not what I need. Since this is an asus board, you can download and install the latest ver of asus probe. This will also show all of the req info.

11. Redsennacy2189

9-9-9-20, finally figured it out lol

12. srhoades

srhoades

13. GeforceGT210

GeforceGT210

Do a trial and error test with the memory, my system used to crash 25+ times a day and Memtest never said there was a problem. Boot with 1 ram stick and if it blue screens, boot with the other, and so on, if it blue screens with every RAM stick, if it still crashes it's something else.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you returned all settings to stock and does it still have the problem?

15. Redsennacy2189

Comp returned to stock, but from what my friend told me, my CPU is not running as well as it should, that there's a barrier on it? He said I'm not getting anywhere near my 3.1GHz. Other than that, so far so good. No crashes, and I've been letting it run overnight to see if it does happen to blue screen.

The second comp (my bf's comp) has a severe issue. Can't have the damn thing up for more than 5 minutes without it crashing, and I set all of his back to factory defaults as well. Tons of errors for PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (0X...0004e) Memory management (0x...001A) and (0x...007E)

I have a feeling that his may really be the RAM. I'm currently looking into mobo QVL and a 550W+ PSU, I just am unsure if 550W will be enough.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1003866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice