1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Elected Officials. Why are they so different from us? Or, are they?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Rep, Dec 31, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. Rep

Rep Thread Starter

Greetings

eddie5659 began a thread, "What Do You Do?" I responded with the following, "I have one of those jobs many people make fun of. I represent about 55,000 people in a state legislature. I love it. They are good people. "

That started a conversation resulting in eggplant and combsdon suggesting a new thread be started. This is it.

Rep thinks, "Seeing how I have never begun a new thread before...I suppose I should say something. Hmmmm, what to say? (Come on Rep. You are a politician. You should not be at a loss for words.) My god, people expect me to say something even when there is nothing to say. Come on Rep. Let's see. Got it."

OK folks - Have you ever talked to your local/state elected officials? What happened?

2. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten

I think everyone is out with bubbly, noise makers, and baloons right now:)

3. combsdon

combsdon

Rep,

I think eggplant is right but I suspect tomorrow you'll get some bites. I have spoken with local, state and federal reps and although they haven't always agreed........I do find that they are willing to listen and have a dialog. go figure:confused:

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Rep
    Welcome to TSG!
    I do have a few items of concern to say but politically correct and having a few drinks tonight suggests that better Judgement shall wait till tomorrow. Have a good evening My friend and have a Happy New Year. One thought I shall part with is most of us that remain silent have recently spoken when enough is enough.
    Dave

5. lisag

lisag

What state do you represent??

6. Rep

Rep Thread Starter

Greetings & a happy New Year to all

eggplant - Yes, in fact I was out for a bit tonight. But here it is 11:40PM and I am home. Had enough.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    combsdon - Good for you. What do you expect from them?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    davey7549 - I look forward to it. Thanks for the welcome.
    You write,"One thought I shall part with is most of us that remain silent have recently spoken when enough is enough."
    In my chamber we all have lap tops. My screen saver scrolls, "Enough is Enough." Thought you would be interested. BTW, keep speaking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lisag - For now I would rather not say. Maybe in the future. The reason is that once I identify the state, then I will eventually be identified. Then my party affiliation becomes an issue. At this point I am not interested in a debate on the issues of the day. I may be able to offer something different. Am not sure exactly what yet, but I have some ideas. You will have others. Fair enough for now?:)

7. lisag

lisag

Of course, thats fine. I was just wondering if you were my representative. :) I understand why you are keeping that sercet, I wouldn't want all the hassle either :)

8. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten

9. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage

Greetings Rep:) .....
    It's New Years Day, Rep ..... The one day I won't talk Politics:D

10. Rep

Rep Thread Starter

eggplant - Thanks for the link. Interesting.

JewisHeritage - It is good to take a day off every now and then. Something I need to learn to do. In fact, would have made a good New Years resolution til I remembered its an election year for me. :D

11. Davey7549

Davey7549

Rep
    Sorry I was not really in any mood or condition to discuss thoughts of politics last night. Since I do not know your state affiliation talking about Wisconsin my be fruitless. However some lessons should be learned from the terrible mess our finances are in. Several items come to mind.
    1) Wisconsin is the second highest taxed State in the union.
    2) Wisconsin does not have any better infrastructure then most states.
    3) Our School system in many of the Major areas a producing the Highest dropout rates of all comparable School systems.
    4) Our property Taxes are 20 to 30% above average and our wages lower.
    5) Wisconsin is facing a 1.5 Billion dollar deficit next budget.
    Those are just some of the fiscal problems.
    Little story here.....about 10 years ago the Wisconsin State legislature sign a bill allowing the state to pick up a major chunk of the School Taxes appearing on our property taxes. This afforded us relief for one tax year. The very next year an error so we were told occurred on our tax bills and would be corrected the following tax season. However the next tax season a major reassessment occurred which offset part of the State School reduction. Every year since our School taxes have increased to where they are now, well above where they were before the State took over.
    Needless to say our wages have not increased significantly to cover these increases. For every dollar we make over 50% goes to taxes, whether they be sales, state, gas fed, and so on.
    Most of us cannot afford to live here anymore and the problem is only getting worse. Many of the silent are going to speak through our votes this year since this nonsense cannot continue.
    When families have a set back we eat pork and beans more often
    and do less to conserve our resources. Governments do not do the same.
    Well I have said my piece and sorry to ramble.
    Dave

12. combsdon

combsdon

dave,

but a beautiful state it is.....and home of the PACKERS!

13. combsdon

combsdon

Rep, mostly I just want to express my thoughts about a subject and if they don't agree I like to know that . maybe I don't have enough information and they have more to share with me.

14. Davey7549

Davey7549

Yes it is and I we were all born and raised here. However it is getting to the point our average middle class citizens cannot afford to live here anymore.
    Dave

15. combsdon

combsdon

likewise.....born and raised. left when I went into the air force. back for a few years to work then gone again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice