1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Electric Motor Failure

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by ED2747, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ED2747

ED2747 Thread Starter

i Have A 1 Hp Capacitor Start Motor That When Energized Will Lock Up And Not Start. The Start Capacitor Has Been Replaced. It Operates A Sears 10" Table Saw And Is 30 Years Old And Has Been Stored, Inactive For Several Years. But Has Been Running Ok For About The Last Month. Rotating After Energizing Results In What I Believe To Be A Magnetic Lock And Hummimg Noise.
    I Intend To Disassemble But Don't Know What To Look For. Any Help Or Ideas Will Be Greatly Appreciated Thanks Ed2747

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Do you know if the motor has an internal centrifugal switch to disconnect the starter winding as it comes up to speed? An open switch would give you the humming and some shaft vibration.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect there is indeed a centrifugal switch in there, older motors frequently had them.

4. john1

john1

check the windings for continuity.

5. Zeppfan

Zeppfan

Capacitor start single phase motors have two sets of copper wire windings (Coils). One set is for starting the motor and the other is for running at full potential.

Your motor would have a centrifugal switch in it to remove the start winding from the energy source after it had reached full speed. Then, the run winding keeps it running until the power is shut off.

The bad news is that your start winding has experienced a short. It is probably cheaper to replace than repair.

In order to repair it yourself, you would need a full compliment of electric motor repair items, like coated copper wire of the correct size(Circular mils), conductors, winding forms, varnish, bake ovens, and test equipment.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice