1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Electric Typewriter help!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Aaminee, Jun 5, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Aaminee

Aaminee Thread Starter

hi
    I’m new to this thread - I recently bought a Smith Corona 470 for my daughter and somehow the ribbon cassette doesn’t move forward. It keeps typing in the same spot and the ribbon runs out of ink. I even bought new replacement ribbon but still the same issue. I read about an “E” clip somewhere online but it didn’t give any info on how to find/fix it.
    I would really appreciate help with fixing this issue!!
    Thx in advance

2. Sponsor

3. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    The ribbon is driven by a gear on the plate that the ribbon mounts. If it's not turning it won't drive the ribbon. There are several reasons for this including not having a retainer clip at the bottom of the gear post. Normally you have to pull the carrier out to get to this and it's labor intensive.. Any typewriter techs in your area?

4. Aaminee

Aaminee Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply; not sure of any typewriter techs around here. Do you know if there’s an online resource that can guide me through it?

5. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    I'll look around and in the meantime can you post a picture of the Machine to make sure I'm thinking of the same Model?

6. Aaminee

Aaminee Thread Starter

Appreciate the help!

Attached Files:

7. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Good pictures and the one to the right is super. The ribbon drive unit is directly to the right of the hammer and it looks like it's not sticking up high enough to drive the gear in the ribbon. Check and see if there's up and down motion with it and check the base of the Typewriter for a clip that's fallen off. I'll try and find a service schematic, but usually because I'm older, I'm slower... ;)

Aaminee likes this.
  8. Aaminee

Aaminee Thread Starter

It also means you’re more experienced :)

ekim68 likes this.
  9. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Not sure if this is helpful but it's fairly descriptive. (I'll keep looking.) ;)

Ribbon drive unit

Aaminee likes this.
  10. Aaminee

Aaminee Thread Starter

Hi
    Upon closer inspection, Ive noticed that the vertical shaft that fits into the cassette, has a prong missing or broken which might be resulting in it not fitting snugly into the cassette, to turn it. Hence the ribbon is not advancing. Any suggestions on what to do>?

11. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    It looks like the parts for this machine have been discontinued, as per the link above. Probably the best bet is to try and chase down a used machine that has that part. And maybe it's possible to drill a hole in the shaft and insert a small pin.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice