1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Electrical Light Switch Problem

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by kirkmiller, Nov 12, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. kirkmiller

kirkmiller Thread Starter

I turned off a circuit breaker to a circuit that feeds two bedrooms -- a light switch and several outlets in each room. When I turned on the circuit breaker a few hours later, everything on the circuit worked except a switch in one bedroom that controls a fan with a light. All outlets in both rooms and the light switch in the other bedroom worked. I replaced the light switch, and that didn't fix the problem. I used a tester on the wires to the non-working light switch, and it showed that no electricity is being fed to the switch. What caused this problem and how do I fix it?

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Brad Moderator

Hi there!

Turning the breaker off/on would not have affected that one switch. There has to be another solution.
    Was there anything else where wiring changes occurred? A plug or anything.
    Before changing the switch, you could have used your meter. Put one lead against a ground, and the other on the top/bottom screw to check for voltage. Most likely that switch is being fed from another plug.

Or, the breaker could feed that switch. Somehow, the wires (neutral and/or hot wires) was left off?

So check the voltage in the switch again (please be careful...). Also, assure that all the wires (hots and neutrals) are connected properly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1199377