ElfAliasJoy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ElfAliasJoy

I'm new here, so i hope this is the right level for my question. i'm disabled and need a voice to text program to do much on the web or any computing. my program is ibm via voice, and it only seems to work on ie. i currently have firefox as my preferred browser, and am having trouble disabling it so i can set my preferences for ie. actually i would prefer to use firefox with my via voice program, but i can't seem to work it that way.
any suggestions?

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi ElfAliasJoy

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

So at this point do you need to set Internet Explorer as your default browser?

If so, start Firefox,
Tools > General
Place a check mark in: Firefox should check to see if it is the default browser when starting.
Click OK to save and close.

Close Firefox, and all other windows.

Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab
Place a check mark in: Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser.
Click Apply, OK to save and close.

Start Internet Explorer and answer Yes when it asks to be the default browser.

When you start Firefox, answer No when it asks to be the default browser.

What version of IBM Via Voice are you using?
What operating system are you using?
Any Service Packs installed?

Let us know.

ElfAliasJoy said:
i'm disabled and need a voice to text program to do much on the web or any computing.
<snip>
any suggestions?
hi, elfaliasjoy,

i'm afraid i can't help u, but as another joy who's disabled, i wanted to say hello and welcome. :)

this is a great site with wonderful people. ;)

take care,
joy

Hi and welcome,
I have a friend who is blind and he has Jaws for Windows, it does speech to text. You can do anything on the internet with it according to him, such as email, IM or just browsing the internet. Kind of expensive though, I hope this helps you, it looks like a great program.

ElfAliasJoy

Thanks to EAFiedler for the help switching to ie so i can use my via voice program. now i'm busy learning how to use it on the internet properly. the first day i tried it, i tried to use it while i reset some of the basic controls on the tools. it took me over a day to be able to access my e-mail again.
you asked about my program -- it's via voice 10.5, i have not added any attachments to it,but i don't know what attachments may be floating around the computer, because i got the use of it after several other people had their hands on it.

joyt -- thanks for the welcome

treespirit -- thanks for the information about jaws, my nephew is legally blind, but can see a few shadows. he's got his computer hooked up with his large-screen projection so he can still use it. i'm not sure what programs or equipment he's using, but i'll mention it to him

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Firefox is not mentioned in the ViaVoice Support FAQs, so if you are unable to get it to work with ViaVoice it is probably not yet supported.

This was listed in the Support FAQs:
You must have Internet Explorer 4.01 w/Service Pack 2 or higher installed
I have included the link below for the ViaVoice Support FAQs:
IBM ViaVoice Release 10 Technical Support FAQs

Did you give your computer a name?

Let us know if you need further assistance. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online