1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

emachine boot problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Big_Gig, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Big_Gig

Big_Gig Thread Starter

I am working on a friend's computer. It is an emachine T1090. There is a problem when it boots up. Normally, you get the emachines logo screen, then a bunch of DOS startup commands scrolls through the screen, then windows xp starts loading.

Intermittently, it gets as far as the emachines logo and freezes there. I have checked all connections to be sure they are tight and have unsuccessfully tried to boot from a cd disk.

I'm not sure if this should be here or in hardware, but I found some other questions that were similar in this forum, so here it is.

Any ideas?

2. FD VISIONS

FD VISIONS

can you try Safe mode? Also open the system and reset the battery, it might help

cheers

3. Big_Gig

Big_Gig Thread Starter

No, the machine doesn't get far enough to be able to access safe mode. I will try check the battery.
    Thanks.

Any more ideas will still be appreciated.

4. Carey934

Carey934

Could be a failing hard drive, failing power supply or failing memory... Intermittant problems are the hardest to solve, but if it boots sometimes and not others, it's probably hardware.

5. Big_Gig

Big_Gig Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. We tried just turning the battery and it worked .... for about 1 day. We tried again a few times and it didn't help. Next we are going to try replacing the battery altogether, that's cheap enough. if that doesn't work, we're going to try opening up the power supply box and see if there is a loose connection that's obvious. Otherwise, we're just going to call our friend and tell him its a hardware problems and he needs to take it to professionals to fix.

We think the power supply unit is most likely the cause because there is a problem, again intermittently, when plugging the power cord into the back of the computer. Sometimes, you have to play with it to get the light that indicates it is plugged in to stay lit.

Anyway, thanks all.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try a new power cord.

7. Big_Gig

Big_Gig Thread Starter

The first thing we did was to try about a half dozen different power cords. We are pretty sure the power pack is not working right. Anyway, we gave the cpu back to our friend and he's going to take it to the repair shop.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas.

Gig:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice