1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emachine running OS / Windows 2000, doesn't see c: or d: drives when booting-up.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sunshine2004, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sunshine2004

Sunshine2004 Thread Starter

Hello All,

This is my first post as I am a new user to this site. I'm not a pro but I do know a little something about computers and any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Problem is:
    Emachine approx. 2years old, just installed new OS (win.2000). Computer had 2 existing problems before new install. #1: Power button will only work for 1st boot but if you turn the computer off you have to unplug and replug machine in order to get it started.
    #2: After booting machine, only a: drive is recognised, doesn't see c: or d: (recognised c: before install, but had problems loading).

c: was reformatted with new installation using another pc.
    d: is recognised in bios (of Emachine) only if c: is disconnected. I tried resetting jumpers on system board, but still think I'm missing something or else computer would be working!

Please Help!!

2. scmazter

scmazter

First of all I don't like win 2000, niether does my family niether does anyone I know. Besides it sux for home use.
    Anyway if you computer is having those errors and is 2 years old, you might as well get a new computer.
    Perhaps if you tell me the specs of your computer and if u ever installing any new hardware or bios on it, i could tell u more.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

First: The master/slave jumpers on the drives are wrong. C should be set to master and D should be set to slave.
    Second: You cannot install Operating System on one machine and expect it to work with another unless they are absolutely identical.
    Third: Windows 2000 is OK.

4. Sunshine2004

Sunshine2004 Thread Starter

Thanks Guys!

I hadn't thought of resetting both drives. As is d: is set to master and c: to slave, I already tried changing c: but left d: the same since computer was booting before install although had problems.

As far as getting a new pc, I would only do this as a last resort. I'm thinking of ordering a new system board and power supply from the manufacturer if I'm unable to fix.

Later,
    sunshine2004

Scmazter, I will check out your link and let you know if there's any way I can assist.

5. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

--As fas as the Pwr problem goes I had the exact same identical issue and symptoms with an older emachine i own. The fix was to replace the pwr supply unit. After that it was aok with smooth sailing !!!

Older eMachines hav a bad rep in so far as psu problems go.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice