1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emachine Windows 7 Lost

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sept_Belt, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sept_Belt

Sept_Belt Thread Starter

Good evening!
    A family member of mine downloaded something that I'm assuming had malware on it [twas from an ad on the side of a website...chances are great]. When the computer was shut down and then turned back on..voila..Windows failed to start. I tried to do startup repair but it could not fix the issue. I cannot access the System Recovery options because there is a password apparently that NO one remembers putting on the desktop, so we can't access it. It went from being able to access startup repair..to the computer taking forever to boot to the "starting windows" screen just for another black screen to appear that says to insert something to boot from. [No, I didn't press F12 or anything to cause this to appear]. The computer seems to be getting worse. I've tried to even do a clean install of Win7, but now all of a sudden my drivers are missing and cannot be found. I've tried downloading them from this website:

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/product/default.aspx?modelId=2042

but when I tried to upload them to the desktop, it tells me to 'contact my vendor for updated copies'. I am at the end of the rope. I have no idea what to do next. Windows installation won't work, nor will Windows Recovery, and now my drivers are MIA.

My computer is an emachine el1850-01e

2. techmaster85

techmaster85

When you did your clean install, I assume you formatted the HDD and installed a fresh copy over the top? What specific drivers are you missing?

3. Sept_Belt

Sept_Belt Thread Starter

I don't know about formatting the HDD. What I did was after I realized that there was no-way to access System Recovery [due to the unknown mysterious password--which I assume came from my guilty-looking niece who just "types" whatever] I took out the Windows Recovery CD and put in the Win7 installation then rebooted. The FIRST time I did that, everything seemed to be going well, the drivers were there etc. Then I had a so-called "tech guy" [a live one, not a forum one] who told me he could bypass the password so don't reinstall Windows. I canceled the installation--he couldn't bypass it so I was back at square 1. Went to reinstall Win7 again..suddenly no 'device drivers' are found and it asks me to Browse for them via USB or CD. Well, I don't know what I'm browsing for and I don't know which ones that means...

I tried rescanning the system..nothing.

Oh thanks for replying and trying to help. This is a brand new computer. I've only had it for 3.5-4 months..but the warranty is apparently no good for situations like this.

4. Lance1

Lance1

The Windows Recovery CD. Did you create it or did it come with the system? Does this Windows Recovery CD give the option to format the hard drive? You say you were in the middle of an install and canceled. This in itself can be catastrophic. Have you bean able to back up at all? If you need to access and you can't, download Puppy Linux to recover the data. here's how to use it: Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux After you get the data, boot from the Recovery CD and do a destructive install meaning blow the Windows partition off and load from scratch.

5. Sept_Belt

Sept_Belt Thread Starter

I created it. I've tried booting from the Win 7 Recovery and now that doesn't seem to work. It just takes me to a black screen that says "please insert media to boot from and press any key" or something along those lines. I do..and still nothing.

6. Lance1

Lance1

Have you tried to access with Puppy Linux? If you can get in you can format the drive from there "If you Wish" But keep in mine that ALL DATA WILL BE GONE doing this.

7. Sept_Belt

Sept_Belt Thread Starter

I don't care about the "data" on the computer. It's fairly new and I don't have anything on there really. Yes. I had some trouble at first, but after burning to a blank CD I was able to boot Puppy Linux. My options are to 'Boot Puppeeee' or 'Advanced Options'. Chose to boot obviously. Then it asked a series of questions, my country, my keyboard config, my timezone. [USA/Qwerty/Eastern] and to select either Xvesa or Xorg. I chose Xvesa. Could you guide me on how to format the drive from here? I can't seem to locate it..[if I need to back out and reboot to Xorg, I'll do it]

Also, will Puppy Linux allow me to reuse the harddrive so that I may install Windows 7 again? I googled it and some people are recommending not to use it because it can damage drives...?

8. Lance1

Lance1

No it will not damage the hard drive. Yes you can install windows 7 after. Inside Puppy click the Menu on the bottom left, then System \ Gparted Partition Manager. Select All Drives and click OK. In Gparted, "Make Sure You Don't Delete The Recovery partition if there is one! "JUST" The Windows 7 System Partition!" click on the partition and click delete and Apply. Click the partition again and click New. If it's not already make it a primary partition and the file system NTFS. Click ADD and then Apply. Click Gparted at the top left and quite. Now close Puppy and boot from Win7 and install. Keep us updated.

9. Sept_Belt

Sept_Belt Thread Starter

Got as far as "select all drives/scan at boot" and clicked OK...However, there are apparently "No Devices Detected"......so the only things I can click on are to Close it, or Help.

10. Lance1

Lance1

Well that s not good. Gparted's not seeing the hard drive at all? Does it look like this?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      30 KB
      Views:
  11. Sept_Belt

Sept_Belt Thread Starter

No. It doesn't look like that. It's all completed greyed out--like there are no options available. I kept refreshing..but nothing worked. Nothing is listed and the very bottom of the screen says "No Devices Detected"

12. Lance1

Lance1

That being the case, it looks as though the drive may be toast. But let try something ells. There is another partition manager called MiniTool Partition Wizard It is a good free manager. download it and burn it to disk and lets see if it see's the hard drive.

Edit:

Forget that link. I posted the wrong one. I'll be back.

13. Lance1

Lance1

14. Sept_Belt

Sept_Belt Thread Starter

Um...so after all of the writing appeared on the black screen after booting [a lot of ERRORs and NOT FOUND], a window popped up on a blue screen that said "this bootable cd does not support the windows server".

Is it possible to do a hard reset on this particular emachine?

15. Lance1

Lance1

This is from the eMachine site. Is this the procedure you used to try and restore your system?

Another option I found there, but apparently not for all machines though.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1017372

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice