1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

emachines 330

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gilliano, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gilliano

gilliano Thread Starter

Does anyone know where I can download technical info for my emachines 330 that I believe is approx 3years old? I'm looking to upgrade the cpu but not sure how to go about this? Any help would be appreciated :confused:

2. godpuppet

godpuppet

Try google, if that doesnt work I'd be happy to help you upgrade.

3. gilliano

gilliano Thread Starter

I've had a look at emachines website and unofficial support website but didn't find any information relating to my model. It has a 1ghz celeron chip with upgraded 512mb RAM, a 20gb HDD and onboard intel graphics adapter. Can I upgrade this to a pentium 4 chip?

4. godpuppet

godpuppet

OK, best thing to do is open it up. Turn off power, disconnect from socket. Take the side off and look on the motherboard for writing. It will be about the size of handwriting somewhere on the board. Once you've found it post the code here.

This is the Motherboard model, with it we can look up its specs and find out what it can handle.

EDIT: just to help, it wont be on a chip, actually on the motherboard itself, could be near the slots, near CPU or near memory slots.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can download and run Everest . . it will tell you everything about your machine you need to know.

6. Mattska

Mattska

Gilliano I was just wondering how you managed to upgrade the RAM to 512MB? I still have the label on the front of mine (same model) and it says 128MB RAM, maximum 256MB!!! Is the label non-sense? I'm looking to upgrade parts of mine- some more RAM, better soundcard and better video card. Sticking with the processor for now I think, until I've learned a bit more about how not to break computers whilst tinkering with them ;)

Could anyone also please tell me; if I am upgrading from 128MB SDRAM to say 512MB... in the eventuality that I am short on free slots (haven't opened case yet), could I take out the existing 128MB memory all together and just replace it with one 512MB?

Sorry to be such a newb.. but I always thought upgrading computers components would require soldering skills at the very least... so I have been scared off until now!

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the label says Maximum 256MB then a 512MB stick wouldn't work. But 256MB seems low for a system with a 1Ghz processor. But then this is an Emachines so you never know.

You can't upgrade to a Pentium 4 in that system, you'd need to replace just about everything since the change to a Pentium 4 requires a new motherboard, processor, memory, power supply, and possibly a video card. Oh and a new case.

A Celeron 1Ghz is near the top of what was available for that generation of computers.

If you still want to upgrade the memory then go to http://www.crucial.com/store/listmo...ines&productline=eMachines+Desktops&submit=Go And find you computer in the list and see how much RAM it can take. Also remember that the maximum is the amount of RAM divided by the total amount of memory slots on the motherboard. If you have 2 slots and the maximum is 256MB then you can only put in 128MB into each slot to get that 256MB of RAM.

8. Mattska

Mattska

Thanks for the reply Triple6, very helpful. It looks like I will just have to go to 256MB then... which in retrospect will probably be fine since my computer gets a fairly easy ride anyway, I don't work it too hard. Cheers, Matt

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Truthfully, I doubt that it's cost effective to upgrade a three year old eMachine. I'd be thinking about a new MB/processor, it's a much better upgrade.

10. davidzhao

davidzhao

I bought emachines 330 in 2001 and added another 256 mb ram to make it to 384, and it has been working fine ever since. I am trying to upgrade to 512 mb. But needs 2 x 256mb in two slots, not one 512.(y)

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

The eMachine 330 is approximately vintage 2002. It very possibly came with Windows ME installed, and many machines with windows ME had memory limitations of 256mb.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/458408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice