1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

eMachines 730 rebooting periodically

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crazy10, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crazy10

Crazy10 Thread Starter

I am having an issue with an eMachine 730 desktop from 2001. I was trying to install Windows ME on the original hard drive. Unfortunately, I cannot due to it rebooting on its own!

On the first reboot, the computer will attempt to find a bootable device (in this case, the CD drive) again followed by rebooting.
    On the second reboot, the computer will reboot during the POST.
    On the third reboot, the same happens as it does on the second.
    On the fourth reboot, no signal is displayed on the monitor and the hard drive indicator light and the CD-R light will both show starting and stopping at the same time!

I understand that it is an old computer, but it still runs perfectly fine despite this problem. I have had the CPU upgraded to a P4 2.00Ghz. (The problem occurred before the CPU upgrade and I highly doubt that's the problem!). I've tried taking the RAM out; this fixed it before it started showing again!

My suspects:
    Hard drive (it reboots at 87%)
    Power Supply (I believe it's still using the same power supply; lasted a long time regardless!)
    Motherboard (I suspect bulging/leaking/discoloured capacitors!)

I can test the hard drive and MAYBE the PSU, but not the motherboard!

Thanks in advance!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You suspect the capacitors are bulging or you have actually checked and they are in fact bulging and leaking?

3. Crazy10

Crazy10 Thread Starter

I suspect the capacitors. When I did the CPU upgrade, they weren't bulging and leaking.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm confused, you suspect the capacitors but you haven't actually opened the computer that is in front of you and actually checked?

5. Crazy10

Crazy10 Thread Starter

The only reason I suspect the capacitors was because of the computer rebooting; it shows the classic symptons of it.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Then I would start by closely examining the tops and bottoms of all the capacitors. Its from the era when that was a huge problem.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you don't see any leaking or bulging capacitors on the mother board, the problem is very likely the power supply. Some eMachines used Bestec branded power supplies and they are notorious for failure.

8. Crazy10

Crazy10 Thread Starter

I took out the power supply from the eMachines computer - an IPEX ENP-21020D to replace with a ISO-400PP only to find it is too big. Just blown it out with a leaf blower and I'll see what happens. I closely examined the capacitors and none are discoloured, leaking or bulging!

EDIT: It successfully formatted the hard drive however it rebooted itself when setup tried copying the files in the install at 13%.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you run a full memory diagnostics on it? I'd run Memtest86+ on it for several hours and see if any errors come up.

10. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

I agree with Triple6. It sounds like a bad RAM stick or slot.

11. Crazy10

Crazy10 Thread Starter

So the computer just rebooted on its own with no memory errors. I think it's definitely the PSU dying but I don't have another that will fit... I'll try and find one on eBay UK!

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    This computer is so old, why invest money into it? You can buy newer used systems for cheap these days.

13. Crazy10

Crazy10 Thread Starter

I'm tight with money these days and I want to sell it which is why I'm trying to fix it up. As I said before, it works fine minus this issue I'm having.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I doubt anyone will buy a 14 year old computer for more than a few dollars if at all, I see better computers getting scrapped for recycling all the time. If you're tight on money don't throw it away on this project.

15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I would not encourage anyone to buy a 14 year old computer and then with ME on it, definitely not! Maybe you could sell it if it was running Linux.

98 support ended July 11, 2006 also.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!