1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

eMachines (are they good?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NormaJean, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NormaJean

NormaJean Thread Starter

Anyone know much about eMachines and if there good computers?

2. mrap1

mrap1

I bought an e-machines in 98 or 99 and its still going. I would say that it has subquality parts but somehow its turned out to be a very durable machine. Expandability options tend to be limited. My e-machines came with only 3 pci slots two of which were occupied.

Also it came with very limited software. It only included Microsoft Works.

I would definitely recommend it as a good begining machine, however for the power user its just too limited in its capability.
    If you don't plan to upgrade it, then go for it. Otherwise if you're a computer user that is constantly tinkering I'd say go with something else.

3. NormaJean

NormaJean Thread Starter

How is it not upgradeable? What is not upgradeable about it?

Thanks for the help

4. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

E-machines seem to be the Hyundais of the computer world.

When Hyundais first came out, they were regarded as cheap cars with questionable dependability. Now, they have the best warranty in the business, and are the equal of any car in their class.

E-machines were also originally cheap computers of questionable dependability. Now, however, there is a much greater range of computers available from e-machines. The cheap, bottom-line computer is still there, although much improved from the original. E-machine also produces higher end machines now that are quite good when compared to other major brand computers.

The bottom line is that you usually get what you pay for, regardless of brand name. Some of the most famous brands of computers have gone to proprietary components, shared memory, etc... something that e-machines are actually getting <I>away</I> from!

For a casual user who just wants a basic computer, I don't think you could find a better bargain than an e-machine. For a power user who understands computers, the best solution is still to build your own.

In the end, your choice depends on what <I>you</I> want in a computer, and how <I>you</I> will use it.

5. rhettman5

rhettman5

We have 3 in the family, all running fine !..HERE is another thread about this subject.... Rhett

6. Wino

Wino

I've had an eMachine EMonster 500A for 2.5 yrs. - has been a good machine. Replaced the crappy Korean modem shortly after purchase, replaced the tinny junk speakers immdediately, added a CD-RW, maxed out RAM, replaced Samsung 13GB HDD with WD40GB recently. Over all would rate it a good, dependable and cheaply constructed machine. The 125Watt PS extremely borderline.

For a few dollars more than an eMachine would suggest looking into the vprMatrix (Best Buy private brand). Bought one recently and extremely impressed with construction and components used (Intel MB & CPU), plenty of space inside tower for expansion, 300W PS, AGP Nvidia graphics, DVD and CD-RW (both Liteon), 6-PCI slots, 6-USB ports, 2-IEEE1394 ports, integrated 10/100 and sound, 80GB WD HDD 7200 RPM, P4 1.8, bundled with S300 Canon BJ printer and 17" 753DF Samsung flat screen CRT monitor, for just over $1100.00 4 months ago. Last time I checked, same package now $100-150 less than I paid and comes with USB2 ports. Quietist running and booting machine I've ever owned - you can hear a mouse peeing on cotton before hearing machine!:D

Only draw back is OEM recovery disk instead of real MS-XP disk, but that is same as emachine and most other branded machines in the market place. Best value for the buck$ I've seen in recent history

Just my opinion (I also have or owned IBM, Compaq & Gateway & home built).

7. CPU_Polizei

CPU_Polizei

dear god, emachine supporters.

"Mother, can I go in the closet for another 6 months?"

Emachines is the worst PC company known to man. Do not buy their crap. They are NO Hyundai by far. They haven't come anywhere in their time, they're still just focused on getting the lowest priced pc on the market, no matter how much it sucks and their tech support sucks.

8. NormaJean

NormaJean Thread Starter

Well I think i am going to buy a eMachines Ti 860. It has an Athlon XP 1800+, 256mb DDR, CD burner, s3 prosavage integrated video, and comes with mouse, keyboard, and speakers.

It costs $649 after rebates $599

9. CPU_Polizei

CPU_Polizei

10. NormaJean

NormaJean Thread Starter

I know integrated graphics suck but its no problem, my birthday is comin up around the corner and I will get a video card. I dont mind

also I think the emachines comp im getting looks better than the one in the link you gave me.

11. CPU_Polizei

CPU_Polizei

No you don't understand, Emachines gives you integrated graphics and NO AGP slot. That means your stuck to upgrading with PCI cards, which means you won't be gaming, period.

However, it is definitely worth at least reading the link I gave above, as the system I have listed costs even less then the emachine, and is a ton better.

12. NormaJean

NormaJean Thread Starter

And yes there is an AGP slot in the one im getting. I called and they told me there was

13. CPU_Polizei

CPU_Polizei

aight, well whatever floats your boat, but it doesn't hurt to look at that link. ABS is much more widely respected then emachines...

14. NormaJean

NormaJean Thread Starter

15. NormaJean

NormaJean Thread Starter

I dont know about ABS being more respected. I mean who has ever heard of ABS? and they sell emachines at wal-mart. They have to be reliable to sell at wal mart. I was in WM the other day and I saw one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/89143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice