1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EMachines Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Edmonds87, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Edmonds87

Edmonds87 Thread Starter

:( i have an emachine computer, it's model EMachines T2542 if that helps, ive had this computer for a few years and its worked fine and one day last week the light started going crazy on the tower and i turned it off because it was making a weird noise and now the computer won't even come on. Any ideas to what is wrong?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

A common occurrence with eMachines is power supply failure. Unfortunately, some times when the power supply fails it will also take out the motherboard. Your first step should be to try the machine with a known good power supply and see if that cures the problem.

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

Welcome to the board. What kind of weird noise? And if you can describe what occurs when you power it on. Does it make any of the usual sounds of drives starting up, etc.? Does it beep? Does anything on the screen show like the post routing?

4. Edmonds87

Edmonds87 Thread Starter

I'll try plugging it in somewhere else and see if anything happens.

5. Edmonds87

Edmonds87 Thread Starter

Thanks. I don't know how to explain the noise, it just caught me off guard when I entered the room. Nothing happens at all, I have it plugged in and when I press the power button on the tower it won't come on. The monitor comes on, but that's all. I have no idea what's going on...!!:(

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

When you say the monitor comes on do you mean all you push is the power button on the computer and the monitor comes to life but with no images? No text about the BIOS, nothing?

Sorry for all the questions but you need to be a little more specific with what's happening. If the monitor is getting a signal from the PC at power on that might mean something different than if it stays dead at power on.

win2kpro is probably right about the power supply but the noise you heard and the flashing lights could mean the hard drive failed rather than the power supply but if you don't even see the BIOS information then it could be more serious.

7. Edmonds87

Edmonds87 Thread Starter

Everything is plugged in correctly, when I press the button on the monitor it comes on and it says 'Self Test- Check Your PC and Signal Cable- Monitor is working'. However, the computer makes no noises whatsoever, and the light won't come on. The computer isn't a huge deal to me, it just had several pictures on it that's the only reason I'm seeking advice. And I'm sorry I can't answer questions great, I don't know too much about computers...sorry!! Any advice from here, should I take it somewhere to see if there's any hope?

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you have a local computer shop nearby just take the tower in and they should be able to check the power supply in just a few minutes.

I have people all the time bring their towers in for the power supply to be checked and after I check the power supply with my tester I hook up a good power supply and see if the problem extends further that just the power supply.

If more than the power supply is damaged, rescuing the pictures or other files should not be a problem if the hard drive is not damaged.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/552020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice