1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

emachines e640g bios recovery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mangus, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mangus

mangus Thread Starter

Hi, recently my emachines notebook bios crashed when I trying to update them and windows freeze. Since then, i can't even turn it on. I heard that corrupted bios can be recovered by using flash drive. Maybe someone knows anything else which help me to fix my notebook.

2. Sponsor

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Some motherboards have a BIOS recovery feature. OEM computers usually do not, and I don't see anything on eMachines' website. I do see a big warning against upgrading the BIOS unless instructed by customer service. I'm guessing that wasn't the case here.

You'll probably need to buy a new laptop.

4. mangus

mangus Thread Starter

Well, I am going to take this laptop to local service to repair it, but I wanted to try repair it by myself. Looking in the net, I found this blog http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html . Well this is for acer laptop but I try to do this for my emachines with latest bios which I found for my laptop. As I saw, somekind of progress is going because laptop won't shut down by itself as it was doing when usb flash is not inserted. But I can wait for an hour or more, nothing is going on. I think, if I know how to rename bios file correctly, maybe bios recovery will be successful.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I think you are going to be stuck with a non-working laptop. Is there a reason why you were trying to update the BIOS? ws it to correct a problem with the original bios? Add some hardware compatibility? Or as seen many times "because a newer BIOS was available"?

The problem you have experienced is why avoiding if possible Flashing the BIOS unless it corrects a problem or adds Component Compatibility (usually Processor support)

6. mangus

mangus Thread Starter

Well, I have reason to update the bios and that reasons was that laptop sometimes turned off automatically, so I hope that the bios update will fix that problem.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Randomly powering off indicates either overheating or hardware failure. It's definitely not something that should exist as a "bug" until a BIOS update is released.

You posted a 3-year-old link to a completely different computer. As I said, some motherboards have BIOS recovery features. OEM systems rarely do, although it appears that Acer model does. If there isn't one specifically for your eMachines computer, then that isn't an option. I wouldn't waste money on taking it in for repairs. They'll do the same web search you and we can do. When they find nothing, they'll charge you for time and tell you that you have to replace the motherboard. That will cost more than the laptop is worth.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021147