1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

eMachines EL1200-05w Reboots constantly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AcesFull, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AcesFull

AcesFull Thread Starter

I have a eMachines EL1200-05w that constantly reboots, and I have no idea why.

It loads up to the Windows xp loading screen, and then shuts down and reboots again.

If I can provide any information to help diagnose the problem, I will, I just need some help !

2. DerekC

DerekC

Have you tried Safemode or Last Known Good Config? Once the XP splash screen appears tap F8 (hopefully you get get to the advanced Startup menu before it reboots).

3. AcesFull

AcesFull Thread Starter

Won't boot into safe mode, I get an advanced startup menu but it won't load any of the options. It just restarts again.

4. DerekC

DerekC

Then the only other options I know of would be to
    1) Reinstall the OS
    2) Run the repair from the recovery console (on the OS cd)
    3) Remove the hard drive, plug it in as a secondary in another computer and run chkdsk /r

5. AcesFull

AcesFull Thread Starter

I don't have a recovery cd for the computer, but If I obtained one how would I run it if the PC shuts off before it can load anything?

Also, I received advice that told me to check the PC health status in the BIOS menu, and I am able to load this menu. The only thing that looked strange to me is that right under where it says "Shutdown Temperature 90*c/194*f" it gives a few values such as +3.3v and then to the right is has the number 3.32, but on the one that says +12v the number to the right reads only 11.70 volts. Has this ANYTHING to do with my problem?

I know I am not a computer genius, but as of this point I am completely lost.

6. DerekC

DerekC

The voltage and temps don't apply. The computer is rebooting while it's trying to load windows, so there is probably a missing or corrupt file.

If you obtained a cd, you would boot using the cd, (not the os, so it shouldn't shut down). Then in the windows installation menu, you can press r to go to the recovery console, and try the "chkdsk /r" command.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974394