emachines EL1360G Screen Sleep >>> Coma

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DrYattz

When I start this PC, it works fine until it has been inactive and the screen "goes to sleep." Then, the power stays on, but the screen is black, and no keystrokes of mouse moves can revive it. I must power down and back up again to get the computer operating.

My nephew says I'm probably missing some software file, and that I should reinstall Windows. But, of course, the PC came with Windows already installed. So I don't have a source for Windows.

What can I do?

tech specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
AMD E-300 dual core processor
AMD Radeon HD6310 graphics
4GB DDR3 memory
500GB harddrive
DVD-Super multi drive
Integrated LAN 10/100/1000
EL1360G-UW11P HDMI

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you go into power options and advanced power settings, you can change the settings to prevent the computer and/or its monitor from going to sleep.

There is no need to reinstall Windows 7.

---------------------------------------------------------------

DrYattz

Thanks, but I can't seem to make that work.

I go into Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, and Power Options. Change when the computer sleeps is listed, but clicking on it opens nothing; in fact, nothing in Power Options seems to work.

I've already set Appearance and Personalization, Personalization, and Change screen saver to 9999 minutes, but the PC never seems to go into screen saver mode.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
After I install Windows 7 in a computer, one of the first things that I do is go into its power options and advanced power settings and turn off all hibernate/sleep/suspend features.
I also go into the screen saver settings and turn off the screensaver.
Besides not having any need for these features, turning them off prevents the problems that can occur with having them turned on.

If you don't know how to change or configure those settings, ask someone who does to help you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

DrYattz

Thanks again, but I'd rather try to get help here. As I stated previously:

> I go into Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, and Power Options. Change when the computer sleeps is listed, but clicking on it opens nothing; in fact, nothing in Power Options seems to work.

I know how to make changes through the Control Panel, only, this PC doesn't respond to changes I attempt in Power Options. I position the mouse over Change when the computer sleeps and it underlines, but when I click on it, nothing happens.

plodr

Liz
Click on the heading Power Options; not any of the sub-headings.
You'll get a box like this.
power_plans.gif
What power plan is selected? Balanced or Power Saver?

Change it to Balanced and then click on the Change Plan settings.

I have my display to turn off after 20 minutes.
If you use a screensaver, the display has to turn off AFTER the screensaver kicks in. For example, my screensaver goes on after 15 minutes.

I have my computer (also an eMachine with Win 7) going to sleep after 2 hours. I sometimes change it to 1 hour.

DrYattz

When I 1st click on the Power Options heading, I get a fraction of a second of a timer, then nothing; no box. If I right click on it, and select Open, nothing happens.

managed

Allan
Try this, click on Start > type POWERCFG.CPL > at the top right-click on POWERCFG.CPL > Run as administrator

Did that open the window in Liz's screenshot ?

DrYattz

OK. I run POWERCFG.CPL as administrator (but nothing seems to happen).

Then, when I try to access Power Options, I still get nothing.

plodr

Liz
I think it is time to run sfc /scannow
because it appears that some of your system files might be corrupt.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
To add to what Liz said.
If you're not sure how to do it, follow these instructions:

Go into the Start menu and locate the Command Prompt entry.
Right-click it, then select to run it as Administrator.
When the small window appears, you should see a blinking dash.
Type in sfc /scannow and then press the Enter key.
(Note: Make sure there's a space between c and /)
The scanning process will begin.
Once it's finished, advise us what it says.
To close that window, type in exit and then press the Enter key.

----------------------------------------------------------------

DrYattz

Done. It stated:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

plodr

Liz
I have no idea what to tell you to do next. Obviously something is wrong with Power in Control panel since you can't get it to stay on the screen to edit the setting.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online