1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emachines mb upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bunny, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bunny

Bunny Thread Starter

I have an emachines t2542, and I've heard about problems with them and upgrade capabilities and everything, but I am trying to upgrade the motheboard.

Here are the full specs for my machine. NOTE: I added an extra stick of 512mb ram and a visiontek xtasy with an ati radeon 9100 chipset video card.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/EMachines-T2542-3351-S-1-2

Will someone help me pick out a GOOD motherboard that fits this machine? I'm looking to spend 50 to 70 dollars on one. I also don't know the form factor of the motherboard.

I'll also be upgrading the videocard soon too.

If you need anymore info just ask.

Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So you want to keep everything else? Any issues we should know about? Reason for the upgrade?

You may need to upgrade the power supply in the computer to avoid stabilty issues with a new motherboard, video card, and the additional RAM. EMachines aren't known for their quality and have dinky little power supplies.

Do you want PCI-Epress support or just an AGP slot?

$50 to $70 is cheap; many boards in that range are older or low-end ones that aren't a good investment.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It is going to be tough to change out that board. The restore won't work without the emachines board and you would need a Windows disk. On top of that you would have to check it to make sure the power supply has a standard ATX connector. If not you would need a power supply.

It is going to be a rough change no matter what. It can be done but it will be expensive.

4. Bunny

Bunny Thread Starter

So how expensive are we talking about? I want to make the upgrade so I can have an agp slot, for a better video card, for gaming. If you can help me find any board that's relatively cheap but is a good quality then I'd appreciate it.

I've got a cd that says Operating System at the top, and then it says in smaller letters:

"Reinstallation CD
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Including Service Pack 1"

So will I be able to use that?

EDIT:

How much trouble would it be to buy a new case, then the motherboard, and transplant all of the stuff into the new case?

Here is the case, note the power supply too.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-138-042&DEPA=1

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Most machines of that type seem to have the Operating System disk "keyed" to the original motherboard BIOS, so it would not install on a new motherboard.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

That OS disk will only work with an Emachine. That is why it is called a re-installation CD and not a Windows XP Home CD.

It is a cost cutting measure. MS sells the license for about 1/3 the cost and maybe even less to mass producers but there are stipulations. One of the stipulations is that it works only on the line of machine it is sold with.

7. Bunny

Bunny Thread Starter

[​IMG]

This is the screen that pops up when I put in the cd I said I have.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Bunny...

If it is a "True install" CD, and not a "Restore" CD then it should work, all you will need to do is on the activation, call MS ( the # should be provided if the online activation doesn't work, or choose to activate by phone ) and explain that the motherboard was changed ( I've done it in the shop a several times, and lately they seem most cooperative ;) )...

About the only way to tell if it is a "Restore" CD or not is to view the contents of the CD, in most cases the "True install" CD will have an i386 folder a "Restore" CD will not ( at least in my experience )...

Sorry didn't see your last post...

Looks like to me a "True install" cd...

9. Bunny

Bunny Thread Starter

It has an i386 folder on it. So will this work and can you guys help me pick out the mb then? Would it be easiest to get a new case or just put a new mb in this one?

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yep, that one looks real. Good deal if it is, you could use any motherboard you want.

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

1 x Intel Celeron 2.5GHz

This is the processor Bunny has. I'll let the intel guys have at it. ;)

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

As far as the motherboard goes, some of the Emachines used a MicroATX, and a Standard ATX will not fit ( too big ) in the case, you may have to look in the case and see how many PCI slots you have ( usually 3 for a MicroATX )...

13. Bunny

Bunny Thread Starter

Alright! So should I use the regular emachines case then?

14. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Depends on if it is a Standard ATX or a MicroATX, and what you want in a motherboard...

15. Bunny

Bunny Thread Starter

Ok, just checked, I have 3 pci slots, and another place where i can take a screw out, but no slot, so just 3 I guess.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/352318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice