1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

emachines memory not right

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unicorn1979, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unicorn1979

unicorn1979 Thread Starter

ok i have a emachines w6409 i got it used it said it only i had 448 ram so i when out and got a new ram 1g but steel say it 448 even redid window steel say 448 can not play game like this how do i fix it please some one help me

2. Soundy

Soundy

Did you replace the existing RAM with the new, or did you add to it? Some machines can be very fussy about the RAM used and it may simply not be recognizing it.

eMachines says that computer comes stock with 512MB... 448 would be 512-64 meaning it's probably allocating 64MB for the onboard video.

3. unicorn1979

it came with a 512 when got it keep tell it 448 so when out and got 1 g and put in left the other one out steel say 448 when tried to put in 2 spot and redid window what am i doing wrong i can not even play on face book right i get adobe flash crash and lot errors some one help i am in wheelchair my pc keep me from going nuts

4. Soundy

Soundy

Did you get the proper RAM for your machine, as specified by eMachines? Or did you just grab the cheapest 1GB stick you could find? Again, some computers are very picky about the specs of the RAM used in them.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The eMachines W6409 desktop supports a maximum of 2048 MB(2 GB) of RAM and uses DDR2 PC2-4200 modules.

http://www.memorystock.com/eMachineseMachinesW6409.html

http://www.memoryx.net/w6409.html

It's usually best to install a matching set of modules in order to avoid incompatibility between modules.

------------------------------------------------

If you've added a 1024 MB(1 GB) module to the 512 MB module already in that desktop and it's still showing 512 MB(minus 64 MB for the on-board display adapter), it's likely the new module is bad or not the correct one.

--------------------------------------------------

If you bought that desktop used and it still contains all the programs and files and other debris from the previous owner and wasn't wiped clean, you've inherited all the problems that were already in it.

--------------------------------------------------

6. unicorn1979

i did not put back in the one what was in here when got it thought it was hurt since it was say 448 but when got all new 1g stick steel say 448 what going on never had the happen before

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Post a link to where you purchased the memory you installed.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    There's nothing wrong with the original 512 MB module that was in there before you bought and installed the 1 GB module. The reason why your computer was showing 448 MB is because the other 64 MB is reserved for use by the computer's integrated graphics controller. 512 - 64 = 448. Once you install both modules, your computer will likely show 960 MB. 1024 - 64 = 960.

RAM modules come in single-sided and double-sided and low-density and high-density. If you don't install the correct 1 GB module, it'll show half the amount of RAM - 512 MB.

win2kpro is more of a hardware expert than I am, so I'll leave you with him from this point on.

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice