1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

eMachines PC failure - please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phil B, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phil B

Phil B Thread Starter

Hi everyone, say hello to the new guy!

I'm afraid my 2.3GHz Celeron eMachines 210 is extremely unwell. After it started doing weird things when powering up with front LEDS flashing and referencing the FDD but not booting, I left it a while and tried again, at which point nothing happened at all. I made a guess that the PSU had failed so have just installed a replacement and I'm back at Phase One - constant HDD LED but absolutely nothing else happening at all - CPU fan still, absolutely no display whatsoever.

I've tried unplugging power from FDD, from HDD, from DVD but nothing's happening.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Phil B

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    by CPU fan still, do you mean the cpufan is not running? Don't know about Emachines (ECS or PC Chips MOBO) but some mobos will not boot unless the CPU Fan is operating. Not just plugged in but running.

3. Phil B

Phil B Thread Starter

Yeah, I meant not running. Thanks for your reply, I didn't know that applied so it gives me something to try out. Would you suggest replacing the fan (can that be done or d'you have to replace the Processor as well?) and if that doesn't resolve it, is it a mobo failure d'you think?

Thanks for listening

Phil B

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Since you tried a new pawersupply and that wasnt the problem. If you try a new CPU fan and that doesnt help, then it could be either a Mobo or CPU problem. If the CPU is bad then the system will not boot usually. But you should get some momentary movement out of the CPU fan. Try removing everything fromthe motherboard youcan such as HDD, Optical drive, everything except the CPU/Fan, Memory and Video. then try to boot it. Memory and video will give you a beep code usually if they are bad. since you dont get a beep even, I would tend to go towards either the Mobo or the CPU.

5. Phil B

Phil B Thread Starter

Thanx again for this advice, it's a great help. One other question, how do I identify the mobo in order to buy the right fan etc? The only label on it carries the Serial No, apart from "rev G" which is stamped on it. Was the 2.3GHz Celeron a specific Socket type?

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Identify the CPU to order the right fan. If it were running you could use something like Everest Home. you can check the Emachines website using hte model number of the computer and see if that can tell you the model motherboard you have.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/395252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice