1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

emachines T6216 - adding a video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by statcat, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. statcat

statcat Thread Starter

I have an emachines T6216 which has built in nvidia geforce 6100. I would like to install nvidia geforce gt 610 card which has onboard memory. How do I disable the built in graphics? The settings in BIOS do not appear to disable built in no matter how I configure. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. This is a dual boot system with Windows XP and Ubuntu 12.04.

2. dai

dai

inserting a card generally disables the onboard

your psu will need to be up here to run the card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

boot from the onboard
    in the device manager disable the onboard
    if the card is listed uninstall it
    turn the computer off
    install the card
    change the video cable from the onboard to the card
    reboot into the bios
    check to see if you can disable the onboard in there and set it to detect agp or pcie first
    save and exit the bios tapping f8 and choose vga mode
    when windows finishes booting
    disable a/virus
    install your drivers for the card
    reboot the computer

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

dai has given you good advise; do not even think about installing a video card and using the emachines current pw supply. Emachines come with bestec pw supplies and they are [to put it nicely] junk.

FWIW that emachine is going on 7~8yrs old now and IMO not worth putting any time or money into upgrading.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Most of the old eMachines desktops come with a "Bestec" 250 - 300 watt power supply and cannot handle the load of modern video cards.

It's my guess you want to upgrade to a video card in order to play games - which is going to be an exercise in futility.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1095898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice