1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emachines XP Keeps restarting won't go to safemode even

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ragingidiot, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ragingidiot

ragingidiot Thread Starter

I have an E-Machines w/ XP home installed (Model # C2825). The baby slapped the keyboard around for a few minutes and the PC restarted and when it did this it suggested several options:

Safe mode
    Safe mode w/ command prompt
    restore to last good start
    start normally

No matter which choice I choose the system restarts and brings me back to these options again. Just before it restarts a blue screen is visible for about a tenth of a second, there is no human way to capture what it says. I put in the OEM restore disk and I am given two options:

1) restore OEM install which wipes the HD clean (AHHHHHHH!)
    2) Command Prompt A: which gives me access to nothing.

I have tried several programs:

cleanmgr.exe; pcbugfix.exe, madboot.exe nothing has worked. I tried running reboot.exe and chkdsk.exe at the a: prompt but nothing works.

Short of being on hold with customer service for the next 8 hours is there anyone out there with suggestions that might work?

PS: I also tried to reboot with old WIN98 startup disks and universal boot disks and win95 startup disks as well, all do nothing to change the situation.

pps: I forgot to add, I opened the case and pulled the battery out and reinstalled it hours later, pulled the plug out multple times, restarted it with the cable detached from the HD unplugged all peripherals and the like and still the problems remain.

Thanks for helping in advance... :)

2. Sponsor

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Try looking in BIOS to see if it is recognizing your HDD

wrs

4. ragingidiot

Yes it has it listed in there with CYLs, volumes, labels
    and such
    Emachine Chathelp told me to format the drive. But can not tell me how to save my files.

Can I swap this HD into my WIN98 PC that i'm on right now and access the files someway? At least my word files and home videos.

5. terryxp

terryxp

Did you have the pc unplugged from the wall before you removed the cmos battery? If not, thats a major no no and can corrupt your bios.

6. terryxp

terryxp

You sure can swap out the hd in another pc to recover your data, if in fact the hard drive is not doa.

7. ragingidiot

yes, it was fully unplugged prior to removing the cmos battery. ANd prior to reinstalling it.

8. ragingidiot

terry, is it just a matter of unplugging it and replugging it into the win98 PC or do I need to do anything technical, ie Jumpers and such, slave assignments and the like?

9. terryxp

terryxp

I would try removing the drive from the 98 box and using it as master... to see if it will boot. If not then you know there is trouble with the OS. If it wont boot in the other machine, put the original HD back in and add the drive as a master. The easiest way is to use CS, or cable select, to configure the drives as master and slave. The good drive as master of course. On the label of most drives, it shows how to connect drives as master and slave or cable select etc....

10. terryxp

terryxp

I always set jumpers on my drives to cable select when I get them, then if I add or remove or swap drives, all you do is plug it in and go...

11. ragingidiot

I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack so I want to make sure I understand what you're saying:

Step 1: Remove win XP HD and install it as a master in the WIN 98 PC

Step 2: If it doesn't boot then I know there is a problem with the OS

Step 3: If it does boot then the problem lies in the hardware of the XP box

Step 4: Assuming step 2 happened I can change the jumper settings to slave replace the win98 HD as a master using CS and reboot all within the WIN98 PC.

Step 5: As drive "d" the slave should allow me access to the files to copy to drive "c" or to burn to CD at least, if nothing else, correct?

...and thanks

12. terryxp

terryxp

After some thought, maybe it would be best to scrap the cable select option, and just jumper configure the drives. Cable select is relatively new, and requires a special IDE cable, which most pc's made in the last few years have, but just to be safe, use the jumpers and set to master and slave as you correctly stated above. Get your data off the xp drive and reinstall xp after that... there are many other ways to go about this, repair install, recovery console etc... but sounds like just getting your critical data and wiping and reinstalling would be the easiest.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!