1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

emachines!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JackD, Nov 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JackD

JackD Thread Starter

Here's one for the books [I think!]. I've installed a new hd in a late model emachine [Emachine was the first mistake]. I cannot get the system to recognize the floppy drive. It will boot from the CD-ROM. When I attempt to use either the Millenium Restore CD or a Win 98SE CD, the system will boot, attempt to install the CD-ROM drivers and report "no drives found" and abort. [The BIOS recognizes both the hd and the rom]. When I type DIR at the a: prompt the CD is read instead of the floppy. In all applications it seems the ROM is being identified as the floppy, or "a" drive. If I remove the CD-ROM the system will still not identify the floppy drive. Any ideas out there will be appreciated.

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi JackD, Welcome to TSG !!

Go into BIOS and make sure the FDD is enabled.
    If it is make sure the drive is connected. It happens!!
    If you can get into windows, Go to device manager and right click the drive. Select properties, see if it says this device is working properly. If not or says MSDOS , go back to device manager and right click the floppy controller and remove it. Reboot and let windows reinstall it.

3. JackD

JackD Thread Starter

Very much appreciate the help. Actually the new hd does not have an OS installed yet, so no Windows. I'm beginning to think the floppy mb connection is bad. Have tried three different floppy drives and system can't read any of them. And . . . to top things off the monitor just went bad so now I'll have to shut down until I can find another one. When it goes to hell it really goes!!! :)

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi- Yow, it is certainly "pouring" where you are...(when it rains...etc) Sounds like perhaps the power leads are not connected tight or right...check the orientation of the floppy cable for pin1 (red edge) to pin1 of the motherboard floppy port. Check the drive end of cable, that should be the twisted end into the back of floppy drive.
    You have enabled floppy in BIOS....when you can boot, see if it shows....and does the memory count finish up correctly??
    You can try a different power lead to the floppy, too.
    Perhaps one that is not connected to the hard drive or CDROM power leads.
    Check that the monitor is plugged in right, and you connected it to the video adapter you want to use,,,,some systems have both an onboard video chip, but people may prefer an added in card, so make sure it goes to what you want for video (display).
    Do fans turn, or lights come on drives? Power supply fan turning?
    This could be a short in motherboard to case problem, or something like the power supply is dying.

5. bytes1125

bytes1125

I recently installed a new HDD in an emachine and experienced the same scenario.

I played around in the BIOS and that didn't change anything.

I finally figured out that the CDROM was acting as the A drive so I partitioned the new HD, restarted, and then formated.

I then restarted again, and installed the original image of the machine. Everything is working fine now.

Save yourself some time and try what I did. You may find that your A drive problem is magically fixed.

Good luck>>

6. Byteman

Hello bytes, Curious- did the reinstall of the image format the drive,so you would lose things, or does it only reinstall Windows itself?

7. bytes1125

bytes1125

I did the format and sys manually because when restarting it would report no O/S present.

So I'm assuming that it does not format. When I ran the restore CD for the Emachine after FDISK, Format, and Sys, It installed, unpacked, and expanded files. And they all seemed to be windows files.

I no longer have that pc available to me, but I remember it asking me if I wanted to Format or not when starting with the CD. I think if you select no, it continues on to the installation.

It took me several tries to figure out what was going on and how to do it with the Emachine.

8. Byteman

Hmm- sounds like you probably had to copy the contents of the CD to hard drive and install from there. That's a common way when problems occur.
    eMachines, like other Restore types, have problems when drives, CDROMs, and perhaps floppy drives or more than a few hardware items, like modems, are changed on the same machine. Compaqs use hard drive BIOS on a small Restore partition on main drive....lots of users just format the whole thing and lose the Restore. Compaq provides a download to replace the system hard drive info so Restore will run. HPs have some tricks to get the Restore to run, too, such as not loading drvspace and some other drivers from DOS. I have restored some Packard Bells but usually there is too much hardware changed for them to run the Restore.
    Two types that do work pretty well are Gateway and HP- there are other things to watch out for when using the Restore disks, like GoBack,-- has to be disabled before you start. And of course, the Drive Overlay programs from hard disk manufacturers, which load a BIOS workaround to use large hard disks...
    For all of these reasons, although when the Restores run correctly it does take less time, I feel glad that on my main system I use just plain win98se- it is more work to get things going, and I bet it sure spurred the production of CD burners, but it is almost foolproof, provided you know the hardware and have drivers.

9. JackD

JackD Thread Starter

I really appreciate everyone's input. I thought I had it there for a minute, Byteman . . .then it pooped out again. I've emailed you direct [hope you don't mind] and will post the resolvement here so others can see in the future. Thus far the system is still being stubborn as emachines [and other restore machines] can be. This one sees the cd-rom as A: drive and although it permitted me to use fdisk and format, it will not permit an installation of Windows from that drive either from the restore, Win98, or Win98se CD's. It will also not boot from the floppy drive so I can't even install DOS 6.2 from the floppy. I've decided to replace the mb, and get rid of the emachines BIOS, etc. altogether. :(

10. Byteman

Jack- Did you go into the BIOS at all, and try setting the floppy as the first boot device, or the CD drive as FIRST and booting from the CD? Some BIOSes will not let you set the CD drive as 1st priority....but all usually will let the floppy do it. You may be set to boot from C:, if it doesnt find that, no dice. Can you see the hard drive, CD drive and floppy info on the boot screen you see the memory count up on- if you have an emachines splash screen, you may be able to hit the Pause key to see the DOS stuff.... you may have check to see if AUTO is set for HDD Detection in Standard CMOS....thats what most BIOSes show, and most hard drives will be set up this way.
    Try setting Defaults in BIOS.....it should tell you what key will do that. Only other suggestion-----you could have a low CMOS battery, they do the craziest things,,,,will not let any settings save, time and date act funny.

11. JackD

JackD Thread Starter

For those who have followed the emachines problem posted herein I wanted to leave the following:
    I finally got the system working but it took some doing. First emachines support told me I could not install Win98 to this system because, "it has been programed not to receive any OS that is older than ME". Here's what I had to do after replacing the RAM, CD drive, and hard drive. [The old ones weren't bad, I just wanted to replace them for other reasons]. The hd had to be installed into another system as a master and Win98se installed. Replaced into the emachines and booted to the hd. Win98se then installed and updated all the drivers for the mb as it could. Any that could not, the hd was again connected to the other system and drivers installed from that system CD-ROM. Once all the mb drivers had been updated the emachine now runs on Win98se with no problems and does recognize all drives and mb chips just as it did with ME.

The challenge was just that, very challenging, but I learned a lot about emachines and the rewards are justifying. I now have three systems that work perfectly. Thanks to all who contributed ideas and information on the previous thread, especially to Byteman.

12. Byteman

JackD- Your thoughtfulness in replying to the forum is very much appreciated. Although "forcing" an install, especially to a hard drive placed in another machine is a drastic measure, it can work. It's generally not reccommended to do what you did, and I must say your determination in getting the eMachine running win98 is an inspiration. I hope that the systems remain that way.

13. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

I'm just curious.... I can't believe there is any way to do the above other than through the BIOS. I just wonder if you could have accomplished the W98 install on your eMachine if you had flashed the BIOS with a W98 compatible one.

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

For those of us who have no idea what you are talking about........I'm going to merge this into your other thread so it all flows together and might make more sense ;)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/105983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice