1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

emachines?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rosh325, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

About 3 years ago my grandfather bought an emachine and while it seemed to do the job, it wasnt the most superior of machines.

NOw my friend is thinking about getting a computer and wanted to know how emachines were compared to similarly configured dells or gateways. Does anyone have an opinion? thanks

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

They aren't even in the running...

3. McTimson

McTimson

Why not tell him to build one, or build one for him...

But I would say that Dell/Gateway is probably better, eMachines has very, very, very little tech support.

4. tustinism

tustinism

Emachines are horrible. Gateway, I know they used to compete closley with Dell but definatley not anymore. Dell makes execllent products. They won't have the cheapest price in the world, but they are reasonable. I would highly recommend Dell. The only reason I would recommend to build your own is if you already have a moniter, keyboard, drives etc. Otherwise, youwill be paying the same if not more for a new computer. hope that helps....

5. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

hey all..it helped alot...shes at college (1000 miles away from me) so i cant go out there to build her one (even though i love building computers :) )...so i guess she'll have to deal

6. dzones

dzones

just stay away from all the dell "tiny" machines and the cheap special ones ya see for 399 and such..

I used to feel Dell was a good company but as time goes on and they get bigger, they get worse.

ever try and order a 399 deal? I tried ordering a 699 special they has last christmas just to prove a point to someone. I had no extras whatsoever, regular ground shipping even. the 699 machine was gonna cost me 953 dollars. shipping, HANDLING and tax. some deal.

now after getting more and more Dell machines in my shop to repair and seeing the garbage they are building for the low enders..yuk...i wouldn't touch 'em anymore if it were me.

do yourself a favor and have it custom built by a mom and pop shop..reliable one of course.
    you will be much better off spending a little extra.

Just my 2 cents worth

7. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

I have an older emachine. It was a given so i am not gonna complain. Older ones hav a bad rep for PSU reliability, I can tell u that cuz i had to replace it. Also, I hav read some other online sources bout their unreliability as well. These were the older models though.

As far as their tech support though, contrary to what McTimson's experience may have been; mine has been very positive, and I have also read in PC World Mag not too long ago that their tech support has gotten alot better than it use to be. They were very quik to respond to my email inquiry's about some issues I wanted to know about.

8. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Get a real computer! :eek:

9. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

bassetman,

Lik ur quote there, "try to be the person your dog thinks you are." Gotta lik that one !

10. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Thanks! ;)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice