1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

emachines?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Glashorse, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Glashorse

Glashorse Thread Starter

I went home for Christmas and my mom said that her emachine would not power up. My son in law has some computer knowledge and checked the power cord and the power supply both which are not the problem. He said he does a burn spot on the motherboard. My question is... are the parts on emachines proprietary or can you just replace it with a comparable motherboard?.... or should she just make it a boat anchor and buy a new CPU, is it worth the $$$.
    Lori

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You might want to take a look at the "barebones" systems at www.tigerdirect.com . Some come with just the case, power supply, amd board. If you can find one that uses your processor, you should be able to just move everything to the new system. It may need re-installation, however, since a new borad means new drivers.

There are emachines boards here:

http://impactcomputersmiami.stores.yahoo.net/mbem1685lomta.html

You can find out what board you have with:

PCWizard[​IMG]
    System Information for Windows (SIW)
    Belarc Advisor
    Mitec System Information

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

eMachines boards are proprietary, and eMachines generally are not worth repairing.

Most eMachines use Bestec power supply's and I would be suprised if the power supply is not bad. About 80% of eMachines that come in for repairs where the power supply has failed, it will also have taken out the board.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Win2K is right as every non working emachine I have ever worked on had a bad psu but the problem is when they went, they always took the motherboard with them.

5. Jason

Jason

I wouldn`t touch an emachine with a barge pole. They`re very tricky computers, and just don`t do what you tell them hehe. Also, drivers are very hard to get for them.

Regards Jason :)

6. Cherylm

Cherylm

It depends on the emachine. You are all wrong on the one I have. It is a beauty of a machine. It's fast and NEVER CRASHES I mean NEVER. Sweetest machine I ever had. But I had a few others I did not like it's just this machine. I know it is this one as my friend has it and there is another one in this house lol. I hated the pentium 4 emachine. This is a T3256. It is almost 5 years old now and I would still invest in fixing what goes wrong, like the drives etc. Which I am not having trouble with but that's normal.
    Just had to say I LOVE MY EMACHINE :)

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

On the eMachines I have had come in with failures the processor had no direct nexus to the failures. The failures occured because eMachines used Bestec power supply's and when the power supply failed it took out the motherboard.

I see more power supply failures with eMachines than with Dell, HP, Gateway or Compaq combined. I hope you continue to have good luck with your machine.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

But the one in question doesn't do what we are all talking about. It doesn't power up and it's what most of us see several times a month with eMachines.

9. Compiler

Compiler

Bestec is also used in HP/COmpaq computers... which I have repalced quite a number of those over the years.

10. brite750

brite750

boat anchor definately. If you have some pc hw knowledge salvage what you can from the emach and buy a barebones or parts to build one otheriwse I guess a new or refurb.

btw the emach restore disk with the os on it will obviously not work on a barebones or new MB so you would have to factor that in

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/670332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice