1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email Account Hacked

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rustie44, Jan 2, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. rustie44

rustie44 Thread Starter

Hello, Back in sept 2018, my att.net email account was hacked. The hacker stole all my contacts and opened a gmail account with the same name as my att.net account. He began emailing all my contacts and requesting they buy iTunes gift cards, since then, att has locked me out of my att.net email account twice!! Now I cannot get back into my email account and All my business customers are in that account! I have spent hours on the phone w/ att and it comes down to a zip code that I give them to verify that account, and they tell me I’m wrong!!! That I’m not giving them the correct zip code! I’m guessing that the hacker changed the zip code? Att tells me that they can’t do anything more to get them to unlock my account! They stated I have to go to an att store to get it unlocked and verify who I am!! I went to an att store and had to wait 45 min. Before I could even get waited on, and then the employee stated she can’t do anything there, that I have to go to a att corporate store!! This is absolutely ridiculous. I tried to contact gmail back on sept to get them to stop this email account that this hacker is using with my name, pretending to be me! I was unable to get through to gmail/ google to get help! I googled this issue, and I see that many others are commenting about similar situations of att accounts being locked, but no real solutions. Surely someone can help me with this please? Thank you in advance, I am just beside myself with stress, as I cannot reach my customers, nor can they contact me! Such a nightmare

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well, is the account a free personal account or something that came with AT&T service?

3. rustie44

rustie44 Thread Starter

I'm not really sure as it was setup about 1994-96 . at&t tells me they have to have a zip code where is was setup . I give them the zip and they keep telling me the system won't accept it . They won't do anything without me very my identity . I think that when my at&t email was hacked that the hacker somehow changed my zip .
    I had internet service when this was setup . Automatic payments every month on my amex card , when I was hacked, one of the times I spoke to at&t the guy told me I shouldn't be paying monthly as I no longer have internet service , it's so old they can't even find an account number .
    I cancelled the service but still have my email . at&t said that there is no charge for using email .
    I'm sorry that this is so long ,I don't know any other way of explaining .This is the notic I received when I try to log in

[​IMG]
    AT&T Yahoo! services suspended
    You no longer have access to your AT&T Yahoo! account [email protected] because your AT&T Yahoo! Internet services have been suspended. If you want to continue using your AT&T Yahoo! ID [email protected], please call AT&T Customer Service to reactivate your AT&T Yahoo! service.

• To reactivate AT&T Yahoo! Dial, call 1-866-SBC-DIAL (1-866-722-3425).
    • To reactivate AT&T Yahoo! DSL, call 1-877-SBC-DSL5 (1-877-722-3755).
    • In case you forget your password, Yahoo! will help you. Take note of your Security Question, alternate email, date of birth and zip code. These fields will help you reset your password if you ever forget it.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Did you get that message before cancelling the service?

5. rustie44

rustie44 Thread Starter

Yes ,about 4 months ago I canceled the internet

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK, so am I clear - you did receive the suspended message BEFORE you cancelled the service? If you received this message after the service was cancelled, I think they didn't do something right and stopped the email account too.

7. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    I do not use Yahoo services, so I could not independently verify what the support number should be for Yahoo mail (buried behind a required login); however, a Bing search returned a top level answer for Yahoo/AT&T support numbers being (866) 562-7219, (408) 349-3300 and (408) 349-1572).

From looking at historic Yahoo complaints, the support numbers listed on your notice above appear to have been valid support numbers for Yahoo support in the past; however, I ran a search on Whitepages.com against the phone numbers listed on your notice and the numbers appear to be currently owned by a small computer company in Bristol, CT., and a real estate company in Daly City, CA. Granted, it is possible that Yahoo/AT&T is leasing use of the numbers from the smaller companies.

Since the validity of the phone numbers is uncertain, and since you received the notice upon an attempted login, you may want to conduct a thorough malware scan on your system.

8. rustie44

rustie44 Thread Starter

They canceled my email AFTER I canceled the internet service that I haven't' had for 20 years

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK, that makes more sense now. So the question is can they restore the email account, which I would have thought they could since the email address was created with the internet service. I am not sure how the zip code would have changed.

Is there no way they can look at the service account and see that you had that username/email at the time of the service?

And you are right, there are 2 different stores for AT&T... which is weird.

10. rustie44

rustie44 Thread Starter

Yes we did a malware scan . It all comes back to this stinkin zip code

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice