1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

email address wrong in OE

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by starchild, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I have OE 6

I have one email address (I use a lot) that always comes up as cm (after yahoo.com) instead of "com" like it should.

I noticed this because email would come back when sent. I thought I had mistyped it, but it was in the address book correctly.

I've tried to change this, deleted it and put it in again, edited it, putting in the correct word (com) and saving it as default. Even tried putting it in with a new nickname for the person.

When I start putting the email address in, and it auto fills in, it still puts "cm" instead of "com" on the end of it.

I have to type it all in by hand, or let it auto fill and go over it, putting the "o" in com.

When I look in the address book it says "com" like it's supposed to, and says it's the person's default email (in my address book)

How can I fix it so it comes up correctly?

I seem to have the strangest problems....

~ Carrie

2. sekirt

sekirt

Just to verify the steps you take:
    1) You click create mail and get a new blank email.
    2) You click "To" and your address book opens.
    3) You choose that Yahoo address (when you choose it, it shows up on the right panel - and should show up, including .com)
    4) When you look at the address entered on the blank email, it has "cm" instead of "com" (even though it is entered OK in the address book).
    ...and you are sure there aren't 2 entries in your address book, one correct, one wrong?

sekirt

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I just checked that (I hadn't even thought of it, like it might have been in under the last name, too) but it's the only one there.

I create new mail, start to type the email address- it auto fills it in for me (when it gets to the point of recognizing which one it is) and puts it as cm instead of com.

In the address book it's com. I've deleted it and put it back in, and it still does this.l

Usually putting in the name or the recipient would put the name in and auto send it to the email address with it. But when I do this (just the name) with this one entry, it sends it to .cm and it comes back.

I keep thinking it's something simple I'm missing, which is why I didn't ask about it before.

~ Carrie

4. Moby

Moby

Rather than type in the address/name, click the 'to' button, select the (correctly spelled) person's e-mail address and enter it without typing anything. This may correct the autofill.
    Before that though :_
    Go to your address book and select the person, click properties. Can you confirm that the default e-mail address listed under the 'name' tab is correctly spelt. Which is different to an e-mail address that can sometimes be listed as the person's name when you first open the address book.

5. sekirt

sekirt

Ahhh...Autocomplete. Then I did get it wrong. I prefer using the method Moby and I outlined (clicking the "To" on an email and choosing the correct address).

I also forget what OS you have, Carrie, autocomplete is different in Windows 98/ME and Windows XP. The autocomplete items are stored in the registry in both cases, however, there is added encryption in XP.

You are left with the following choices:
    1) Continue with that one incorrect address.
    2) Stop using autocomplete.
    3) Delete ALL autocomplete items and start your list over again.
    4) Read about PC Magazine's utility: Autowhat? 2. If you are a member (around $20) already, you will be able to download it for free. It can edit those encrypted registry entries.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,3116,00.asp

5) OE Tweaker might do it? Freeware. It mentions "hidden" options. I don't have it, so I don't know exactly which hidden items they mean. Works with all Windows versions.

http://www.qwhale.com/products/outlook_express_tweaker/

6) Another maybe. freeware. Protected Storage PassView v1.62

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html

sekirt

6. sekirt

sekirt

Update:
    I downloaded PSPV and although I don't have any autocomplete items to delete, it appears that it will delete them. I deleted an outdated email account that I did not know was still living in my registry.

sekirt

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice