email Archives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

2thman

:confused:
I'm new to this forum and am hoping I can get an answer to my problem.

I'm using Outlook Express for my emails and have been archiving the folders forever. Now I am backing up the archives to a CD and I want to clean out the hard disk.

Question 1. In the help index for archiving there is an instruction about "compacting" and "backing up" e-mail folders. Nowhere in the instruction page is there mention of the term "archive". Are the terms "Compacting" and "Archiving" synonymous?

Question 2. Now I've got all 200 MB of e-mail folders archived or compacted and saved on a CD, how can I recover them and view them again? I want to do this on a trial basis the first time so that I can be sure it works before I wipe my hard disk clean of everything older than a few weeks. Outlook Express Help seems to be silent on this topic.

Thanks,

Also, check out a utility called DBXTRACT (Do a Google search). It's great for extracting "archived" .dbx files from your OE folder.

At the end of the month I save my Outlook Express folder to CD-R then delete all messages older than one month. If I need to get them back, DBXTRACT does the job quickly.

-rds33

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online