1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

email Archives

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by 2thman, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2thman

2thman Thread Starter

:confused:
    I'm new to this forum and am hoping I can get an answer to my problem.

I'm using Outlook Express for my emails and have been archiving the folders forever. Now I am backing up the archives to a CD and I want to clean out the hard disk.

Question 1. In the help index for archiving there is an instruction about "compacting" and "backing up" e-mail folders. Nowhere in the instruction page is there mention of the term "archive". Are the terms "Compacting" and "Archiving" synonymous?

Question 2. Now I've got all 200 MB of e-mail folders archived or compacted and saved on a CD, how can I recover them and view them again? I want to do this on a trial basis the first time so that I can be sure it works before I wipe my hard disk clean of everything older than a few weeks. Outlook Express Help seems to be silent on this topic.

Thanks,

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Hello 2thman and welcome to TSG,

I believe this link will answer all of you questions. Check out the entire section under Restore/Backup. Hope this helps. KW1

www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe5/index.htm

3. 2thman

2thman Thread Starter

BINGO!!!!!

You've made my day. Thanks a heap, KW1.

4. rds33

rds33

Also, check out a utility called DBXTRACT (Do a Google search). It's great for extracting "archived" .dbx files from your OE folder.

At the end of the month I save my Outlook Express folder to CD-R then delete all messages older than one month. If I need to get them back, DBXTRACT does the job quickly.

-rds33

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice