email attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bratpak3

When I send a Word doc as an email attachment, the recipients tell me that it comes to them in the form of a winmail.dat file and they can't open it. I'm running Windows 98 and using Outlook 2000 for email. Any clues?

my guess is that they don't have wod on thier pc. You can have then select word pad from the list to open it..

bratpak3

That's possible, but it seems to happen no matter whom I send the attachment to. It seems unlikely that so many people would not have Word on their pc. I'll suggest to them to try opening it in Word Pad....in the meantime, any other thoughts?

Outlook has a number of features that look very attractive. Most notably, Outlook allows you to send email in a variety of formats:

As plain vanilla text with no formatting

In Rich Text Format, which allows for a limited amount of formatting, such as boldface/italic/underlined text or different fonts

Formatted with the HTML formatting language so that it appears (sort of) like a web page

Formatted as a Microsoft Word document.

It's these formatting options that cause the problems.

When an Outlook user composes and sends a message using either Rich Text Format or HTML Format, Outlook automatically generates a file, winmail.dat, and attaches it to the end of the message. winmail.dat contains formatting information, in a human-unreadable form, that Outlook will use on the receiving end to display this email message correctly. Unfortunately, Outlook is the ONLY email client program that can use this information. Outlook Express, Netscape Messenger, Eudora, and other email client programs don't understand this information.

So, you will be causing the problem if they don't have Outlook.

Send as plain Text.

Or, change to Eudora.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online