1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Email Auto-config detects Exchange Server instead of IMAP

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by pradhan, Nov 19, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Hello, and again thanks for your help!

I have been running Thunderbird for years on both my home desktop and notebook. Okay...

I am loading a relatively new ASUS, Win10 machine with Thunderbird Email client. When I go to autodetect an email account, it correctly detects the IMAP/SMTP server names but somehow identifies it as an Exchange server.

So, I download Mailbird with which I have have had success autoconfig'ing. The same thing happens. It auto-detect the server names but identifies the incoming server type as an Exchange server.

So...I log into my desktop remotely (and therefore is on another network altogether) and test the auto-connect with Thunderbird. No problem at all. It connects instantly with all the correct settings.

I have disabled the SSL Filter on eset and the firewall altogether. Still the same problem. I have manually input the information, and nothing allows me to connect to my email servers on the new Asus notebook.

Might the network be the problem/difference? I mention this because I am wondering if his network may be running thru Exchange? Or, can the computer somehow be configured to use Exchange as a default protocol??? This is so baffling, I don't really know how to ask the question!

Thanks for your help,
    Pradhan

2. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

I have solved my own problem. It seems it had all to do with the wireless network setup at the location where I was working. As soon as I went to a different location, setup was automatic

3. britekguy

britekguy

Just for my own education, do you know what it was about the "problem location" that actually made it such?

4. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Wish I could help on that one but I can only guess. I am house-sitting, so my friend-host is not here so as to access his modem to see what's what. Interestingly, once I was connected, I could then access the email networks. I have seen exactly this on my own system when Eset Antivirus did not allow SSL pass-thru. In this case, in order to connect, I had to shut down Eset's SSL filtering, but once connected and authorized, I could turn it back on and then no problems. So MAYBE, just MAYBE...his modem has a firewall setting which may be blocking SSL communication.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice