1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email Background Music

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Lyk2no, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

I am using XP Home SP2, Windows Media Player V11.0.5721.5145 and Outlook Express for Email.
    I can send sound (music) by attachment but I would like to send (music from my files) within the body of my Email as background. Can some one help me on this? :confused:

2. Jones

Jones

If you are asking how to have 'automatic' music playing when someone opens an e-mail from you . . . do yourself and all your recipients a favor and don't bother. They'll never forgive you for that. Imagine how embarrassing and unprofessional it would be to have music blare across someone's office when they open your message. This is definitely an e-mail no-no.

3. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

Jones, At the least, give me the benefit of the doubt that I can judge whether the same Email is appropriate for a close friend or the office of a local Bishop.

Is it a definite no no to send an Email, with a classical music background, to a friend who is a musician in an orchestra?

It would be interesting to know what others think of this.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Not so much a no-no, but consider that you are sending a file which will be required to auto-run an application when the email is opened, without user intervention.

I would hope that the recipient's anti-virus and anti-malware settings are such that it would not be allowed to occur, it leaves the door wide open for malicious code to be executed?

5. Jones

Jones

Very true, sorry to be so 'black-and-white'. The question sounded a little like a marketing gimmick, and being that is my field of expertise, I have strong opinions about stuff like that. :)

I can see that there would be some instances where (for specific personal e-mails) such as photo gallery messages, etc. where embedded music would be a nice touch. Though I'm not familiar with exactly how to do this, you might be abnle to accomplish this via a Flash file. Although I don't believe e-mail programs like Outlook have the ability to play Flash files. Web-based e-mail services such as Hotmail might be able to, since they use web browsers to function.

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    There appears to be such an option in OE6 ...

Create a new message then ...

Format -> Rich Text (HTML)

Format -> Background -> Sound ...

That opens a dialog box where you can browse to find the desired audio file or a midi file.

You also have the option play the file once or having it repeat.

I suspect that this will only work if the recipient's e-mail software supports the playing of background sound files.

7. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

I now see that my problem started when I updated Windows Media 6 to WM11.
    WM11 will not allow embedding music.

Thanks for your insight and help.(y)
    Are you the Wozniak?

8. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I just checked my version of WMP. It is still at version 9. A little bit of searching on Google and the MS site seems to suggest that various security issues when using WMP with Outlook and Outlook Express. Maybe trying to embed audio files in an e-mail is not that good of an idea after all.

If the "The Wozniak" you are talking about is Steve Wozniak, then no, I am not him. I don't even have half the money he does. :D :D :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice