1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email being refused and returned> ???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by GupsBabyGirl, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GupsBabyGirl

GupsBabyGirl Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone could help me? I send my mother email all the time at aol from my road runner account and suddenly today everytime I have tried to write her I get a returned email from AOL saying the following:
    <<< The IP address you are using to connect to AOL is a dynamic

<<< 554- (residential) IP address. AOL will not accept future e-mail transactions

<<< 554- from this IP address until your ISP removes this IP address from its list

<<< 554- of dynamic (residential) IP addresses

Im wondering if anyone can tell me what this is so that I dont have to call my cable company about it cause I havent a clue if I did something wrong or not and now Im afraid to send email from my outlook address.
    Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. I think you need to change the outgoing SMTP settings to whatever roadrunner wants there. I think you'll have to call them.

3. GupsBabyGirl

change it from what Ive been using since I got road runner?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

5. GupsBabyGirl

Thank you I understand now... geeez AOL is such a pain

6. beekeeper

beekeeper

I had a similar problem recently, having e-mails undelivered to aol from my BT Talk21 account using Outlook Express. As AcaCandy says, you may have to reset your SMTP settings - thats what I did and I can now mail aol with no problems. Most isp sites have details on how to configure your settings for Outlook Express - so go to the roadrunner site (or phone them) and find out what you need to put in the SMTP field in Outlook Express. To enter it in Outlook Express, do the following:

Open OE >> tools >> accounts >> highlight the account you want to change, then >> properties >> servers

The top field will have your incoming mail details (POP 3) - don't change this

The second field - outgoing mail (SMTP)- is where you need to put the details from your isp (mine for example says: smtp.freeserve.com)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice