Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Email client downloads duplicate emails

498 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
I've had this problem for years. My Windows Live Mail 2012 frequently (not always) downloads duplicates of every new email. The email protocol is POP3. Someone suggested I should use IMAP. I tried it. . . but, at least with Comcast's system, IMAP duplicates what's on the server. . . which can go back several years of emails. . . which I DO NOT want to retain. Comcast provides no option to delete emails older that X days, so when I switched to IMAP, every g.d. email I've received in the last 3 years downloaded to my Inbox. So I went back to POP3.

So why do I get duplicates?

#2 ·
Windows Live Mail became really glitchy before it was discontinued, almost all my clients have dumped it for something else. I'd recommend switching to Thunderbird.

It also sounds like you had the POP account set to leave all mail on the server indefinitely, you can go into you POP account settings in WLM 2012 and set it to delete mail from the server after a certain amount of days. Then check you email, close and re-open WLM and it should slowly start to remove the older email from the Comcast servers. Or setup it up as IMAP, let it download all the email and then delete it from the mail client which will also delete it from the server, you can bulk delete email using the shift key and selecting the first and last email you want deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.