1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email client for win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by larryh10000, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

I have a few email addresses from different companies that I have had for many years. I had no problem setting them up in Outlook Express, so whatever email address the person had that I gave them (anyone of three different ones), Outlook Express would open all of them.

Now I intend to buy a computer with Windows 7 and they do not use Outlook Express. I would like to keep these different email addresses and have the emails all open in the email client I choose to use.

I assume that Outlook would do this, but I really can afford it right now but will get it if I have to.

Any email program that will pull all these different email address in and open them?

Someone mentioned Windows Live 2011 - I haven't looked into this one, anyone familiar with it?

Free is good :)

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. w7pro

w7pro

4. larryh10000

I was using Windows Live but found it real slow to get my emails. The same email would arrive at my Outlook Express 10 to 15 minutes earlier than with Windows Live. Have you tried the new Windows Live 2011 version?
    To bad Outlook isn't available for Windows 7 users. I will really miss having an audio sound when I get an email. I run a business where it is real important that I respond immediately to my emails and I can't always be running to my email program to see if I have any new mail. Can't beat Outlook Express if you ask me.

BTW, you don't happend to know any email clients that do have an option to hear an audio sound play when one receives a new email?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In some ways I think Windows Live Mail, especially the 2011 version, is even worse than Outlook Express. Suggest you try Thunderbird. And, yes, it makes a sound when you get new mail and puts an icon in the Notification Area until you go to Thunderbird.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Heck you could do this with Gmail. In Gmail's settings it gives you the option to retrieve email from other accounts. But that would just be one more email account you would have to keep track off.

But I will also second Terry's motion on Thunderbird.

I was a Eudora junky when I first started on the Internet back in the early 90's. I used Eudora probably for 10 years, but since migrated to using Web based email and haven't turned back since. They still make a version of Eudora that is open source now. Suppose to be the best of Eudora and Thunderbird combined. I have been wanting to try it but I very rarely turn on a computer these days. My phone is my computer now.
    https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE

7. larryh10000

Thanks to all who responded! I have had some tech support people also suggest Thunderbird. I'll give it a try and give as much feedback on it as possible.

8. larryh10000

I am trying out different email clients. I am currently using the following: Outlook Express, Windows Live, and a browser/web based email by my ISP. I don't really like Windows Live - mail delivery is very slow most of the time. I will be buying a Windows 7 machine soon and Outlook Express no longer comes with it, so that is why I'm looking into other email programs. Would like Outlook but seems too expensive (anyone know if an audio alert can be turned on in Outlook?)

I would like to try "Trulymail" and "Thunderbird" - I guess these two are not web based email clients, right? Anyone reading this that has used either of these and then uninstalled them (for one reason or another), did they uninstall cleanly?

I really just have two requirements for my email client needs:
    1. Must be able to pull in emails from multiple email addresses.
    2. Must be able to add an audio sound to let me know when I have new mail.

Any suggestions that I might give a try?

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I switched to web-only e-mail years ago and wouldn't go back to using a client. Given your 2 requirements, a Gmail account would satisfy both. You can check multiple accounts from a single Gmail account, and you can use a program like Scott's Gmail Alert to play a sound when you get a message.

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've merged your threads. Please do not start mutliple threads on the same topic.

12. acraftylady

acraftylady

I use windows mail on the vista desktop and then when I got the laptop with 7 I hated live mail, as said it was slow for me too. I googled and found instrcutions on how to have plain old windows mail on 7 and did that and am much happier. I just didn't like live mail as well as windows mail or outlook express. Mary

13. scottzozy

scottzozy

I was using windows live for a while it was working ok then it stopped and no longer recieves mail ,so I dumped it and use thunderbird & Gmail for emails now not going to bother sorting windows live not worth the trouble.

14. acraftylady

acraftylady

I tried thunderbird and liked it but I couldn't get 2 servers set up the way I needed the way windows mail does but most people don't use 2 servers in a mail program anyway. In windows mail or outlook and outlook express I send and receive my road runner mail in the top half and then AOL in the bottom half and no matter what I tried I couldn't get thunderbird to separate them so I guess I just didn't know how to fiure it out.

Actually I am using incredimail now and have it set up for my 2 servers just like I did in windows mail and love it, espeically the bounce to sender feature. I had used it years ago then when I got vista tried the windows mail and liked it but now I am back to incredimail as I love all the stationary and my friends all use it so it's fun for us for the sounds and recordings. As I said there is a work around to use regular windows mail on 7 and it works really good. Mary

15. larryh10000

You mean you found a way to get Outlook Express to work in Windows 7? Sure would like to know how you did that.
    Thanks Mary for your reply :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice