1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email Client Outlook, OE or Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Old New Guy, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Old New Guy

Old New Guy Thread Starter

I have been using pcs for over 20 years but have always "followed the leader". My new pc has both OE and Outlook. My old PC which is wifi networked to the new one has OE, a large folder collection, five years worth of emails and a large addressbook. I am looking for suggestions for an email client and why. I have Comcast for an ISP. The new PC is a Compaq Presario P4 with 2.4 GB Mem, 200GB HD, Norton security suite.

Thanks for any help.

Old New Guy

2. fleamailman

fleamailman

First using outlook express is like saying "here is a open door(letterbox then) please place bomb inside", so most people don't even configure it now, they just go onto their server, find the place marked "mail" or "read your mail", press enter and are able to both see, store and reply to their mails on line, - a good server like google or yahoo, also stores your addresses too so that you can be anywhere and, once connected to their site, continue as if you were at home. Also, this makes life easy when your own computer goes down because then you have lost no mails at all, they are there on site still. The new email viruses too just love Outlook express because with Outlook those mails go right into your computer.

Next, I would diffinately go for almost anything other than Internet Explorer, I think you will enjoy using firefox, but there are others so it's personal prefferance here. Sorry if my English is wonky donkey, I am a goblin who finds the human world hard at times.

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

i use oe and outlook with oe the easiest to deal with.

i don't save emails, what i want as docs/pics i use floppies or cd's but export the windows address book to a floppy and import/add remove to it as needed.

most isp's nowdays provide some av protection, but some protection is advised.
    i have norton/symantec on all computers, spybot, xoftspy and don't have any problems.:cool:

4. mom2inky

mom2inky

from years of experience...change to firefox browser asap....use their thunderbird as email client, copy all email address into wordpad, word document before transferring, etc. to thunderbird (tho you 10 to 1) won't have any problems. OE and Outlook are very bad! also support from firefox on browser/thunderbird are great!

5. sekirt

sekirt

The only real problems Outlook Express faces is human error. Don't open emails from strangers. If you want the richest content possible, then continue to use OE. If you decide to run a business, then Outlook.

If you are careful with your email address, even spam is minimal. However besides protection provided from your ISP, there are several freeware programs. Also message rules that can be used.

I have never had a virus/trojan/worm running loose on this computer. I have used OE exclusively. And always recommend it.

sekirt

6. jrm0513

jrm0513

recently i down loaded dsl from att yahoo. i now cannot use microsoft outlook. it will not connect to internet. tech people att useless. help!!i have configured e m time and time again no luck they have tried too many times!!
    pls help i want to continue using outlook and ie cuz when i click on internet addresses it defaults ty dont want to change

7. fleamailman

fleamailman

I wrote that post months ago, and the further we go into the live domain the stronger I feel that downloading stuff to ones comp is just asking for it. See the mails on site and only download those that you really need. The rest you can leave on server I mean what with a free 1gb mailboax like yahoo 1% is a 1000 emails. One just doesn't know what malware is around the corner, one doesn't know which AV will stop it, why take the risk?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/457834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice